Thursday, February 5, 2009

Michael Cho


The Black Coat (http://chodrawings.blogspot.com/)


LOVE the design work of Michael Cho who is a Toronto based illustrator. His work reminds me of those drawing in the ancient Childcraft books I had as a kid. Maybe due to printing limitation of the day they always were only two-toned. When I was working in Coronation the school library got rid of most of the books that they had in that school since the 1930s and I scooped up as many as I could. Great design work and deceptively simple illustrations at a time when only black and white photos appeared in encyclopedias or children's books. I would love him to do an entire Marvel or DC comic in his two-toned style. I would be as great as Darwyn Cooke THE NEW FRONTIER that tells the story of the early days of DC comics in a style not seen before but one that feels very familiar and comforting - a return to the atomic age of design.

No comments: