Sunday, February 13, 2011

All-Star Superman (2011)


One word - AMAZING. Fantastic story, animation and voice work. I so wish the live-action movies would take a hint and insure the STORY is in place before the director shoots even one second of footage.

I was unsure how I would like this one seeing how the animation doesn't resemble the great Frank Quietly art that was one of the main attractions of the 12 part 'All Star Superman' comic miniseries. However, many of that artist's great scenes do appear.


The story is simple. Superman is dying. He has absorbed too much solar energy and his cells can't take the pressure. This happened when Superman saved a mission to the sun. Luthor manipulated the whole thing to finally kill his arch enemy.


Superman's relationship with Lois (Christina Hendricks) in this movie is wonderful. It's nice to see him admit to her that he is Clark Kent. The conversation they have about her never figuring out that Clark is Superman is very cute as are the other character touches.

The Fortress of Solitude has also never been more spectacular. What a great place to take a girl on a first date.


There is real wonder in this film - romance, adventure and sadness. I hate to admit that Grant Morrison hit this story out of the park. He owed me because lately he has done nothing but disappoint me.


I really enjoy his take on the arrogant Lex Luthor. He is so fixated on Superman that he can never imagine for a second that Clark Kent IS Superman when Clark interviews Lex in prison.

I have said it before and I will say it again - we live in a Golden Age of Superhero animation. The films just keep getting better and better. This one was magical. I can't imagine how they can do anything better. I would love to see 'Kingdom Come' tackled now. I think they are finally ready to do THAT story right.

10/10

4 comments:

Sam G said...

Can't. Wait.

Kal said...

Well if you are not adverse to torrents you can find it on demonoid.

Unknown said...

Looks totally amazing.

Kal said...

Are you an old school geek like me, Odie?