Friday, February 4, 2011

Color Me Surprised - James Cameron's Stink Is On Another Script



Critics - 31%
Audience - 51%

"James Cameron loves high drama under the sea; his directorial credits include Piranha 2: The Spawning, The Abyss, and that little movie about an ocean liner that sank after hitting an iceberg. Cameron is the executive producer on Sanctum, and critics say the film maintains his flair for arresting visuals, but unfortunately the characters and plot are nothing particularly special. Sanctum is the story of a group of cave divers who become trapped after a tropical storm. They're lost in a vast undersea cavern, short on supplies, and desperate to find a way out. The pundits say Sanctum has moments of tension and visual wonder, but it's undercut by one-dimensional characters and remarkably middling dialogue."

2 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

I wish I could say I was surprised at how Cameron is almost being blamed for the badness of a movie he neither wrote nor directed (and on which was one of five executive producers), but I'm really not. Kind of like how people blame George Lucas for Howard the Duck.

Kal said...

I admit to having severe Shaudenfreud when it comes to Cameron. I just love any chance I have to hate him. It's irrational but I refuse to work hard to give him my adoration. He has enough people to give him that. The only movie I really liked of his was the original TERMINATOR so my dislike of him is pure. It's the contrast between great visuals and weak storytelling that truly annoys me. I can't help it. I expect so much more from him but he is like Michael Bay - one note.