Friday, April 8, 2011

The A-Z Blogging Challenge - The Letter H - Heroes


Of course there are real life heroes all around us. Firemen, police officers, soldier, teachers, parents, social workers, doctors, and nurses. I could talk about fictional superheroes seeing as they have been a strong part of my entire life. At first I planned to, and post pictures of some of my favorite superhero art pieces. Then I looked at a picture of my father and the whole post took an entirely different directions.

I had a great father who always looked for interesting and unusual ways to teach me the important lessons in life.

He took me to the concentration camp at Dachau to teach me that the horrors of the Holocaust must never be allowed to happen again.

He bought me encyclopedia sets and my first computer because education was so valuable to him and he wanted me to become a lifelong learner.

He made sure I could participate in activities like drama, sports, and travel.

He enjoyed his favorite music, movies and television with me and taught me how to hold harmonies and tell a joke so good it would bring the house down.

He showed me that no people were smaller than me and beneath my notice. Before I started teaching he reminded me that it was all about the students and to make friends with the secretary and custodian because they were good allies to have when the shit was going down.

He was kind and generous so I am kind and generous.

He always supported the things I was into. He always asked about new comic books and action figures that I had added to my collection though they weren't something he found an interest in himself. Every Christmas until he passed away when I 40, he still bought me the best action figures. Not just stuff off the shelf at Walmart. He did his research and got me some of the sweetest figures in my collection.

He named the 'Cave of Cool'.

He would have been so into my blog and impressed by the output and this thing I had created. It was the last thing he asked me to do before he died. To follow my passions for as far as they would take me. This blog is my passion and I owe it all to the greatest man I ever knew. That is my idea of a hero. That was my father.

I tried to take some pictures with my webcam of him but they didn't turn out good enough. Tomrorow I will but a new card screener for my digital camera and do them pics up right the way they should be.

14 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

This was a really neat post Kal. Your father sounds like he was a really cool guy.

Kal said...

He was the best.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This is so touching, Kal. I like it when you tell stories about your family and childhood. No doubt your dad would be very proud of you today. You were likely his hero too.
xoRobyn

Kal said...

What a lovely thought Robyn that I was his hero. I doubt that with how difficult a kid I was. I never backed down and would speak up against bad teachers or unfair treatment others got. It must have been a pain in the ass to teach me. Remind me to tell you the story of how I graduated without having taken Religious Studies 35 in a CATHOLIC SCHOOL. There was an 'arrangement' made when I complained about a teacher who was unfairly treating me and my friends.

Gujjari said...

Wonderful lover for your father.
Real hero of your life.
Sounds affection for your Dad.

I am following your blog.
Stop at my blog, and if you like follow.

http://mydaughtersdreams.blogspot.com/

Ricky Shambles said...

That was amazing. I lost my grandfather about 3 years ago and was able to give the "grandkids" eulogy, and as it took me one step closer, thinking about when my own father will pass: what will we say?

And he is amazing. Honestly, I want to institute "Faux Funeral" parties where people talk about the living while they can appreciate it (in human form).

I just wish I thought about that while my grandfather was alive.

And if it wasn't obvious: they're both heroes to me. Thanks for reminding me I should do more about it.

Wings1295 said...

Great post, Kal! One of the shining examples of how Cool this Cave really is. :)

Drake said...

My Dad is my Hero and still with us at 86. You've made your Dad proud Cal. :)

LEon said...

Kal your father is a great Hero and the best father every kid would love to have. Salute.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

He sounds like a great guy! A loving father and good role model. I like how he supported your hobbies even though they weren't his passion too -- a sure sign of love and respect.

mshatch said...

wow, what an awesome trubute to your dad. My dad passed away not so long ago. I find myself enjoying many of his expressions. You were lucky to have such in an incredible dad :)

Kal said...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I love Ricky's idea to do a 'faux funeral' and say the things to people before they die as opposed to what you would say afterwards. I was really happy that my father died the way he did. That sounds weird but I spent the last year of his life with him everyday while he was dying of cancer. I got to care for him and tell him all the things I said in his eulogy. He died knowing how much success he had as my dad and I think that made him very happy. Those of you with parents still living tell them now. You will never know how much it will mean to them. I may joke around with my mother but I tell her things like that all the time. Of course she pretends not to believe me but that is just her humble ways. I hope she lives to be 100 because I don't know what I would do without her. She is as awesome if not more awesome than my dad. We had a saying in our family - "Mom told it like it is, Dad told it like it could be." The perfect combination. I wish I was a parent some days just so I could pass their teachings on to my own children.

Cora said...

Kal, that was simply lovely. Your father sounds like he was incredible.

Sarah said...

*sob* I'm calling my Dad right now! Lovely sentimental tribute post to your dad Kal.