Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bubble Tops and Bell Jars


There are somethings that I love every time I see them - a cute kitten, great digital art, unique design, steampunk does right, great cosplay, colorful comic book characters and BUBBLE TOPS. I loved those old 'Hot Wheels' toy cars that had bubble tops instead of regular tops. They just reek of 'COOL' and make me think of the future or exploration in space.




Spaceships like the ones in 'Mars Attacks' are my mind's example of what a 'real' UFO should look like. Even the aliens in that movie wear spacesuits that have bubble tops or more accurately, BELL JARS, which I also can be obsessed with.


Anything encased in a bell jar appeals to me. I have 5 clocks that are designed that way. Underneath the protection of the clear covering, I can watch the mechanisms of the clock do their thing. Bell Jars also were a preferred method of displaying samples of nature. They could be studied from all angles without disturbing what was encased inside the glass dome.


Personal submarines that allow you a 360 degree view of the water you are diving in are the only way to see the ocean. I don't need to go outside of the protective bubble and come in close contact with the killer fish of the sea because I can see everything fine from the relative safety of my seat. That's me. Warm and safe and dry.



4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What about all those disembodied heads in bell jars on Futurama, LOL?

Kal said...

They are even better because they can talk. You ever seen the Steve Martin movie 'Man With Two Brains'? Those get alot of millage and comedy out of the fact that his character can communicate with a brain in a jar.

Anonymous said...

OMG - I used to have that Space: 1999 model!

M. D. Jackson said...

I've seen avery episode of Space:1999 (I'm not braggin' about it or anything, it's just a sad fact of my life) and NO episode ever had that car in it.

And the picture of the spaceman doing the pelvic thrust? That's painted by Jeffrey Jones.