Friday, April 15, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The Letter N - Noms


I remember watching an interview that Cookie Monster did with a young reporter who was searching out the meaning of the term 'NOM' which is another name for FOOD. Apparently it comes from the sound Cooking Monster makes when he tears into a cookie - "OM NOM NOM NOM"


When I caption my cat pictures I used the word 'NOM' all the time to refer to food. It just sounds funny to me. If 'LOL' and 'OMG' can get into the Oxford English Dictionary then 'NOM' certainly deserves to be in that book.


Since I have been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes, I have really had to watch my diet so when I DO eat something that is not good for me (I refuse to cut everything with sugar out of my life because life is meant to be lived) I try to choose something that makes the cheating worthwhile. It's all about moderation.

I can't wait until summer when the cherries are around and will eat them everyday if I can. "Hello, my name is Calvin and I am a cherryaholic."


I also love pancakes. They are like crack to me. Nothing better than cold pancakes the next day. As kids we would make strawberry jam sammiches and substitute pancakes for bread.



Gummi Bears are my favorite candy. You can imagine how much I was drooling all over my keyboard when I first saw that for 30 bucks you can buy this monster gummi bear.


•Approx: 5 Pounds! 10 inches tall!
•Bigger than a football!
•Over 1,000 times the size of a typical gummy bear!
•A whopping 51 servings!



I read an article some time back about the last meals of death row inmates. The myth is that you can have all your favorite stuff has persisted forever but often restrictions are put on what a 'last meal' can consist of. What would be YOUR last meal. This would be mine:

seafood soup (my Dad's recipe)
double cheeseburger with fries
steak and lobster
garlic mashed potatoes with fried mushrooms
2 litre Pepsi
lemon and cherry tarts

9 comments:

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

lol! that giant gummy bear slayed me :D

Kal said...

Check out the link to see the huge gummy worms they also sell. I love gummy and would just knaw the shit out of those.

Captain Temerity said...

The giant Gummi Bear is much harder than the regular ones, and almost impossible to eat (the one we got was, at least).

Have one of the two foot long gummi worms coming, though, so I'll let you know how that one turns out.

Kal said...

I am sorry to hear about the faults of the large gummi bear, Captain. That just breaks my heart. I wonder if the process of creating such a monster has anything to do with that or if you just got a dud. Waiting to see what you think of the gummi worm. I hope you have a better experience with that one. I hate when they show me something great and the reality is different. It's sea monkey's all over again.

Tempo said...

Oh, Kal...youre just making it harder on yourself mate...fancy looking at all that lovely (fatty) food then not being allowed to eat it...

Kal said...

I know. I feel like the Little Match Girl who could only look through the window at all the great Christmas food before she froze to death. Thanks for another happy tale Mr. Hans Christian Anderson.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My favourite pancake is a baked German pancake eaten with the juice from fresh lemon wedges and icing sugar. Every time I go to Winnipeg, I have one at the House of Pancakes. Now that we have an IHOP here in Edmonton, I should go see if they have it on their menu too.

TS Hendrik said...

Those are some sweet noms. (I'm doing my best to help you get it in the dictionary through usage.)

Kal said...

You, sir, are one of the good ones.