Monday, August 1, 2011

Cowboys and Aliens


Sam Rockwell? Clancy Brown? Adam Beach? Keith Carradine? Waldon Goggins, Olivia Wilde in a summer dress complete with gun belt? Magnificent. How can you go wrong with that cast and that title for a movie?


Everything you need to know about this movie you can see in the trailer. If the trailer appeals to you then you will like this. Not love it but like it.



Daniel Craig spent too much time as the sullen Jake instead of the heroic Jake that he evolved into. The last half hour of this movie is pretty cool. All the various factions realize that if they don't team up to take down these freakin' aliens then they would all end up on the menu, or being probed or having their heads grafted onto animal bodies or whatever sick twisted shit that aliens do when they abduct us.




It's unfortunate that some good actors were let down by a bad script. There were too many plot holes for my brain to keep up with so I tuned in an out of this one. I am sure I will forget all about it tomorrow. For such a great concept, the execution should have wowed me instead of boring me. Biggest disappointment for me this summer.

5/10

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was similarly wowed by the cast line-up and Olivia Wilde in afore-mentioned summer dress. Similarly not-so-wowed by the script. Overall though, I did enjoy this film. The only thing I love to see more than a plan coming together is a bunch of disparate adversarial groups and characters coming together in a common cause and earning each other's trust and respect.

Wandering Coyote said...

I really want to see this, actually. I adore Daniel Craig.

JBond said...

I think the western portion of it worked pretty well. I was expecting more alien interaction. I was hoping for this to be my 'epic movie of the summer'. Boy, did I ever over-hype this one for myself.

Sam G said...

So.......does Olivia Wilde get nekkid in this?

Kal said...

She has no cloths on but her form is covered by clever shadows in the scene so you don't see anything. Nothing but I tease.

DrGoat said...

I heard that to prepare for this film, Spielberg took the cast and they all watched old westerns for several days.
Evidently, someone didn't learn enough from those great movies.

Kal said...

They got the Cowboy and Indian parts right but the alien part was kinda a throw-a-way idea.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, reviews have not been good for this. Too bad. I still may go and see it anyway.