Monday, August 15, 2011

TV Times



I have decided that pretty much anything I review (?) these days will be chock full of spoilers. If you haven't seen the movie or tv show I talk about, you are free to move on and ignore these posts.

I suspect that most people know the basic story of the movie they want to see just by the trailer and/or the poster. I want to talk less about that stuff and more about my own opinions and reactions as I watch. I am sure I will get better at expressing emotions like GLEE which DO NOT make me appear to be an eight year old girl. I would like to hear what you all think of the shows I choose to talk about.

If I was watching this stuff with anyone else, these are the comments I would make...of course minus any witty replies to my comments from the company in the room.

Here at the cave, Polar bears are suprisingly poor at media analysis. Alot of growling when they like something AND when they hate something. Who can tell anymore what they think?

These are the other shows I watch regularly. Are any of them your favorites?

Hell's Kitchen
In Plain Sight
Real Housewives of Planet Earth
Warehouse 13
Countdown With Kieth Olbermann
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
The Closer
Project Runway USA/Australia
Teen Moms
Big Brother
Survivor
Amazing Race
Modern Family
The Middle
Ricky Gervais Show
Real Time with Bill Maher
Dr Who
Torchwood
The Soup
All Superhero cartoons (Avengers, Young Justice, Batman, Transformers)
Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson
Chelsea Lately
Jerseyliscious
Burn Notice
Any jail show
Fringe
Community
30 Rock
Awkward
iCarly
Wizards of Waverly Place



I have been thinking about Gwen Cooper on 'Torchwood'. She has the most peculiar relationship with the Doctor of anyone on Earth. Her closest ally, Captain Jack, reveres the Doctor and strives to be worthy of his company. He is a scamp like the Doctor but Jack understands leadership and sacrifice and that he learned from the Doctor.

But Gwen only has the experience of the Doctor NOT being around. An absentee father. No inspirational speeches or last minute saves - all she knows about the Doctor is that he is not around when the world seems to need him the most. Her disgust with him is shared by her disgust for us and what we allow to happen right under our noses. This time it's the extermination camps and their oven. A chilling repeat of history.

How magnificent would Gwen be after a little quality time with the Doctor do you think? Why has their meeting never came about? Or did I miss something?





5 comments:

csmith2884 said...

Surprised at how few I do watch, our taste must run closer in movies? Just read this is the last season for in plain sight, think maybe it's time, I find more and more of this season in my dvr unwatched.
As to spoilers,I do skip your posts till I have seen stuff. You get to movies as soon as they are out, I often have to wait for dvd. I sometimes go back after and read your thoughts, but comments to an old post seem untopical.

mercurius said...

Gwen has met the Doctor, but only at a moment of direst need, when he appeared like a savior to pull humanity back from the edge of oblivion. (Series 4, "The Stolen Earth")

I would argue that Gwen is not disgusted with him b/c she's seen him show up and save not just our world but many others in a single day. To her, he's something godlike and inexplicable, only humanized by what anecdotes Jack has deigned to share. Even on that fateful day, she only met him via video conference, which helped feed her awe of him as something transcending corporeal. This is why her Children of Earth speech has a different meaning for me. She knows the Doctor has countless worlds to save. Her disgust is aimed solely at the grotesqueries of humanity on display that day; and that is why she came to be at peace with the Doctor's absence.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

What the "Indy shoots the swordsman" scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark didn't get best unscripted moment?! Indy shot him so they could finish the scene quicker because Harrison Ford had dysentery.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm still hanging in there with Hell's Kitchen. If Tommy is not the next to go, then there is no God.

Daisy said...

The ones we watch on your list are:
Hell's Kitchen ("that looks like a dog's dinner!")
Real Housewives (NJ)
Countdown with Keith Olbermann (we miss him)
Project Runway
Teen Moms
Amazing Race