Sunday, September 4, 2011

Read It. Liked It

A storm struck on the night Laura Shane was born, and there was a strangeness about the weather that people would remember for years. But even more mysterious was the blond-haired stranger who appeared out of nowhere—the man who saved Laura from a fatal delivery.

Years later—another bolt of lightning—and the stranger returned, again to save Laura from tragedy. Was he the guardian angel he seemed? The devil in disguise? Or the master of a haunting destiny beyond time and space?


Koontz is like Ludlum for me or King. You can chew them out and spit them out in a weekend and be a better storyteller for going through the process. Those guys know how to propel a narrative. Zoomy zoom get me through...I can keep up.

Cool ideas and a sweeping love story. Y'all know how much I loves me a sweeping love story. And this one sweeps and has lightning storms.

Thank you Dean Koontz. I made the connections without you feeling the need to over explain everything for me. He just filled in the holes in my imagination and I appreciated it when the payoff was even cooler than I thought it would be. I bought the whole adventure through time vibe this story projects big time.

7 comments:

MOCK! said...

One of my all time favorite books!

For some reason, I thought Koontz once said he would love to see a filmable script for this book but he was too close to it to do it himself.

For YEARS I tinkered with a script but I walked away from it a decade ago.

Still, what a GREAT play on the concept of time travel...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It's a beautiful story and would be the most awesome vehicle for some 40 year old actress that doesn't get the respect she deserves - but that is because of the choice in roles she has made - Jennifer Anniston would be great casting in this. You need a beautiful girl who can play 'damaged soul'. The male lead writes itself after that.

Wings1295 said...

Love Koontz. Literary snobs scoff at him, but I think you should enjoy what you like, no matter what. That is what truly matters. And I have a shelf just lined with great reads from this guy.

Simon B said...

I read this book probably 20 years ago (!) and still remember it as being an exciting read with many twists and turns. I'm not really a fan of Koontz's but this and "Whispers" are two exceptions that I really enjoyed...

M. D. Jackson said...

My first Koontz book was DOOR TO DECEMBER which was a piece of shit and I haven't picked him up since. Maybe I should have started with this one.

Nick Ward said...

I freaking dig this book. I thought I saw it coming then BANG it hits you like a ton of bricks. Clever work and I think his best work - easily.

I want to adapt this into a screenplay. One of my all-time favourite books.

Steve said...

I read this a long time ago, and enjoyed it a great deal, mainly because I'm a time travel junkie.
Recently I read a book by him called The Husband. Awful! Terrible! It reads like a trunk novel he's dusted off and published in order to fulfill a contract. Avoid.

http://moody-by-name.blogspot.com/