Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Back To The Collection Again.

 
When I was a kid I had a ton of action figures. From Big Jim to GI Joe (the 12 inches) to the Mego superheroes, I had everything. My vehicles and costumes filled a large trunk. My Evil Knievel and Six Million Dollar Man figures were among my favourites.


However when we moved back to Canada from Europe in 1977 we lost two crates. One was my mother's beautiful Christmas ornaments and the other was from my room. ALL my childhood toys and comics were gone forever. I thought I was going to die but had six weeks of cadet camp to get used to coming home without my toys waiting for me.


I totally lament that loss to this day and I never thought I would rebuild my collections. However in the late 70s I started buying comics again and have a collection of more than 12,000 now.



Comics had started to become so overpriced in the mid-ninties. I thought I would find something else to spend my money on - since there are other avenues to enjoy the great comic adventures that I love.



One day in the early 90s I saw this Doctor Strange figure on the shelf. Now in a world where the 3 3/4 inch figures ruled the shelves he was a fresh take on the superhero. (The Star Wars and small GI Joe figures just didn't do it for me. Neither did the Secret Wars or Super Powers figures)


It was a beautiful realistic version of Dr Strange with a cool paint job and sculpt. Add to that a vinyl cape that could be manipulated to allow the good Doctor to appear like he is floating above the ground. I was in love again.



So much so that fifteen years later, this is the state of my re-invented collection. Get used to seeing more cool figures in the next couple of weeks as I go through my collection and share the goodness within.




 





 

8 comments:

david_b said...

Very, VERY impressive. Don't know if you've been watching the 'Collection Intervention' series on SyFy or not but it's a pretty good show.

Loved the recent Richard Hatch guest appearance on the Galactica collector segment. I thought the guy's collection was, alright (didn't even have a Mattel LandRam released only in Canada..), but loved Richard giving him his original Galactica script.

THAT floored me.

Again super collection, sir. I'm big into the Legends line now, and my 20yr younger nephew actually prefers the '80s/'90s action figures, where they 'look like action figures' not statues.

Hey, to each his own, but I still love my Legends collection.., primarily Avengers. I had to complete my Pym line by buying the BAF Giant Man last year for a hundred bucks.

SO WORTH THE INVESTMENT.

Kal said...

The Legend Line is beautiful. Then they Make the Select Line which I am 'selective' about.

david_b said...

I didn't like the headsculpt on the Legends Hawkeye, so I instead spent the money on the Disney Marvel Select Hawkeye, MUCH MUCH better than the Legends figure.

I also bought the Hydra Guard steps/base (with guards) from the Marvel Select Spiderwoman set, and I add my Legends Doc Strange walking down the steps with his arms up, right on my work desk. Perfect juxtapose of both lines (color/figure scale) and yes..,

"It's a Beauty."

Mitchell Craig said...

I had Johnny West and an SSP car as a kid.

Kal said...

I would love to see your stuff David. I hope I am not considered a hoarder yet.

david_b said...

Catch that 'Collection Intervention' show if you can on SyFi...

One guy had $30,000 comics. Another guy had his transformers/import japanese robot collection valued at over $60,000.

Some pretty impressive collectors, equipted with wives/significant others who call the host in because both parts of the house AND garage are all taken over by collections.

I told my wife that ANY cash from selling my stuff goes RIGHT BACK into getting new stuff.

The only exception was just before we were married, I sold a vintage MIB Captain Action Phantom set for $600, to pay for half of our new bedroom set. Her eyes went buggy when I slapped $600 cash in her hand mere days after we agreed. I told her then that was the LAST time I would ever do that.

david_b said...

Sorry, meant to say the guy had '30,000 comics', not '$30,000 in comics'.., but mostly '80/90s stuff, pretty worthless for resale value.

Kal said...

Ouch...a vintage Captain Action Phantom. I need to see your collection, my brother.