Sunday, October 21, 2012

Daily Reminder - Watching Monsters Being Born

 
When we picked up the shell from the ROV’s arm, to our surprise, a small octopus came out of the shell. It was a female that laid her eggs inside the shell. We put shell and octopus in a tank with seawater, and after one minute thousands of octopus larvae started to stream out of the shell. The octopus eggs were hatching! That was the first time we had observed such a magnificent show. The larvae were changing coloration from transparent with dark spots to brown, and swimming like squid – although on a millimeter scale.
 
I get the willies when I think about putting my arm into that tank. They should all be dried out and sprinkled over my salad - proteins from the sea, bitches.
 

2 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

Why do so despise an Octopus So very much...???
They have the learning ability of a 4 or 5 year old human child... and are very curious about whatever they encounter... the highest evolved invertebrate on our planet... I think that they are Awesome creatures.... Who knows... they may have descended from the Great Old Ones themselves....

Kal said...

They are a strange creature. All my life I have read about the mischief that they do in Aquariums like sqirting water from their tanks to short out the heating and air pumps of nearby tanks.

They live at the bottom of the oceans where they no doublt came across the Alien spaceships sitting on the bottom of the sea, just waiting for their moment to strike.

I have watched them figure out complicated puzzles and high end math calculations which show they are much smarter than anyone of us thinks they are.

We ignore their evil at our peril. They pull you from the beach to inky blackness to kill you and eat you over several hours.

When I was a kid one of the octopus took a run at me as I passed the glass to his tank. It must have been two inches think but I heard the THUMP and nearly jumped ten feet while filling my diaper.

They know I hate them and I will never trust them. I made a mistake trusting the Dolphins and they are all molesters.

I also don't trust anything that has so many skills and adaptations to use against me. They are not our friends and seem to me like they are more alien than terrestrial creatures.

Plus they gossip and become really abusive when they drink.

I could come up with a thousand more reasons but you get my point.