Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Favorite Childhood Toys And One That Got Away



You can read more about the entire Evil Knievel line by going HERE.



As the popularity of Evel Knievel grew in the 70s, Ideal created a female counterpart for the girl market called Derry Daring. DERRY? What kind of name is that? It's like the female version of Hitler. No one is naming their kids either Derry or Hitler these days.

 
I would have had no problem with adding this younger sister to Penelope Pitstop to my action figure family. I couldn't promise, however, that her hair would not have to be cut after repeatedly being sent through the ring of fire.
 
 

 
I wonder how many little girls got turned onto motorcycle riding after getting this toy? The motorcycle was the same design and worked identical to the one Evil used. As a toy these bikes were practically indestructible. I have ran mine into walls and launched it down staircases and the bike just hit the ground and kept going. This was a toy built to take abuse and for that reason it gave you hours and hours of quality playtime.
 

 



 
I almost never see one of these show up on EBay complete in box or I would jump at it. Ideal remade their Evil Knievel set a few years ago and I would like to see the same thing done with Derry Daring. It would never happen due to her obscurity but I never stop dreaming.
 
 

5 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

I only had one Evel item...

Kal said...

I had everything - the emphasis on HAD but it was my favorite toy.

Pat Tillett said...

Evel was a major celebrity for quite a while. I can totally understand his action figures, cartoons and everything else. Imagine how huge Derry Daring would have gotten if they hired a stunt woman to actually create the character before they came out with all this.

Kal said...

Evil had too much of an ego to work with a female stuntwoman but it would have been cool at the time to see him promote that. I understand this toy was based on a real life female racer but I forgot her name right now.

John Sholtz said...

I remember all of those toys, but I never got bit by the bug. However, it's still cool to see it all again.