Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Holy Grail Figures - Oscar Goldman

 
Of all the figures I want in my collection it may sound strange to admit that the Oscar Goldman from the Six Million Dollar Man line is the most coveted. He was Steve Austin's and Jamie Summer's boss on the show. Wings reminded me that he played the same character on two networks when the Six Million Dollar Woman moved to NBC.

For a TV doll, this one really looked just like actor Richard Anderson which was a rare thing for the time. The coolest accessory included, of course, was the 'exploding briefcase'. Depending on how you opened it it would either show papers or a burned out case. This to me was beyond cool. And just look at that plaid jacket and turtleneck sweater - the height of 70s fashion in one figure! Since when do they make a figure of a hero's BOSS? He also came with one of the first blue tooth headsets as you can see here.



About once a month I bid on one of these on EBay but it always exceeds my limit or I get poached at the last minute. This is punishment for the time when I passed up an Oscar Goldman for only 40 dollars. I remember the box being a little beat up so I walked away from the comic/junk store and immediately regretting it.

 

10 comments:

Michael said...

I want this figure back!! Had em as a kid and like you said, he is Austin's boss in a leisure suit but I got alot of play out of him. I passed up one a few months back that went low and regret it still.

Kal said...

He just is a perfect representation of that time in my geek development. Plus all the good stuff you got with him. You were right, he fit perfectly into any team you were putting together on your bedroom floor.

Wings1295 said...

One day, Kal of the Cool Cave, you will have the precious in your possession again. Patience and fortitude, my friend. And a big bank account.

Mike D. said...

Once you get it...you can also re enact scenes from the "Student Prince"

Kal said...

See, that's the point I think, Wings. I COULD buy one for 150 dollars but why not win one for a tenth of that (shipping not included)? I want one but I want the RIGHT one. If I see one in real life THEN I bargain like a Bedoin with my blood, fingers, children and anything else I can get the seller to take.

Wings1295 said...

Make an "Oscar Goodman" piggy bank and add a $1 or change or something in it now and then. When it gets up to $150, then you can big high and not feel bad about it, since it was earmarked for just that purpose.

david_b said...

Kal, honestly, if poachers (or snipers.., another term) have caused you this much anquish and ire for years, I typically will lob another $100 at it in the final minutes, out-poaching the poacher.

Painful to actualize, but sometimes a mallet or blunt instrument's far more thereputic than a a fly swatter.

We will mourn the $40 memory much easier AFTER the item is 'glowing' on your shelf...

Channel Scarlett O'Hara for a minute and lament the extra charge it took to purchase.. 'tomorrow'.

D.I. Felipe González said...

That´s no doll: Its an Action Figure, never forget that.

Anonymous said...

I'm betting the REAL reason they're so hard to find is because Steve Carrell had one in "THE 40-YEAR OLD VERSION". That's a pretty high profile piece of free advertising!

david_b said...

I never collected the line, but it's one of those I wish my parents would have bought back then.

Regardless of whether I personally liked or collected the lines, I ALWAYS love when toy companies put out an exquisitely-looking package and offering. I would have loved this set, and I seldom watched the show back in the day.

Just an AWESOME looking line, sir.

So worthy of your hunt. As the Dos Equis beer commercial says, 'Stay Thirsty, My Friend'.