Monday, March 4, 2013

You Just Ruined My Trip To Mars

 
Because I figure after about a year or so of stuffing my poop into a bag and stuffing it back into the wall of my spaceship would drive me off the ledge to the point where I would be opening the doors of the spaceship and WOOSHING everyone and every bag of poop off into the dark or space. I know this would happen the second after I realized I was zipping along in a ship made of poop. If I wanted that kind of experience I could have just stayed on Earth and moved to India.

Yep, it turns out that filling the walls of your spacecraft with your turds in a good idea because it can protect you from cosmic rays. Basically, the launch would start with bags of food in the walls. As you convert the food, to, well, you know, you put it back in the bag and stuff that bag back into the walls.

Water is actually a far more effective radiation shield than metal and object with a lot of water won't become radioactive from the exposure. As you might guess, your dumps are mostly water and thus, will keep you from getting space cancer.

4 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

I'd rather have it being used as radiation shielding then have it be recycled back as food.

Kal said...

I just realized that for all the waste there would have to be a way to reclaim the water from the food. If you don't recycle urine and waste into some kind of drinking water then you have to carry more fresh water. That bothers me. Just freeze us for the trip. I will stay up and watch the pods so the crew doesn't need to eat and I don't have to bag my shit. I don't know why they don't go with my plan. Stupid NASA.

Nathan said...

But cosmic rays created the Fantastic Four! Okay, maybe I'd smear poop on the walls to avoid being an animated rock like Ben Grimm. The others have pretty cool powers, though.

Kal said...

I think being able to turn your waste into thermal insulation is a pretty neat super power. But I hear ya. Depends on your DNA, you might bet a cool power like Medussa or Cyclops or Collosus.