Sunday, December 22, 2013

Scholastic Book Club

 
http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/50-things-only-80s-kids-can-understand

If you are a child of the 80s you need to follow this link to see if you too are inspired by any of their examples. I got a tingle when I saw them mention the Scholastic Book Club.

There was nothing I loved more in school than the Scholastic Book Order Form. Cheap books on subjects that interested me was gravy time. My parents insisted on a house full of books (which I had to share with my stupid sister) and were very militant about it. That meant we could order lots of books which entitled us to points which allowed us even MORE books. It was always an event around our house when my folks put in our order....on one sheet, for me and my sister so they could get the most book bank for their buck. But that meant we could choose anything. Lots of books on cryptids, two minute mysteries, Hardy Boys, jokes, riddles, Asterix, sticker books, ancient history, animals, and comic books.. I would have been all OVER this Dune storybook for example.

These are the newer pages from their flyer but it's essentially the same themes that I remember. Books that a kid can consume in a hour or so but still come back to many times after that. I look at my personal library sometimes and I am amazed at the sheer variety of the subjects I was interested in then and still am interested in today. We all really do stop evolving at age six. What you liked at that age you are stuck with enjoying for life.



 
(click to enlarge)
 

2 comments:

j-swin said...

It was one of the few bright points of my elementary school experience too, somewhere between art class and pizza Fridays.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We had Scholastic Books back in the 1960s too. I could only order a book once in a while when my parents could spare the money. What a treat it was!