Monday, April 14, 2014

The Confessions Of A Pop Culture Heretic


I was looking for some shows to download tonight and was amazed at the programs that I DON'T watch. For such a keep observer of pop culture I am surprised that the following shows don't interest me.

True Detective - I like the two leads and I was looking forward to an eight episode mystery with some cool. I understand the finale was weak and I thought that would be the case so I didn't invest in the show. I do love the idea of a half season or 13 Episodes. Ray Donovan did that to perfection.

Game of Thrones - I like the genre, I love many of the actors involved but I am unwilling to become a part of another cult series that will only let me down in the end. The great thing is that if it ends in a terrific way I can always go back and enjoy it another time.

Walking Dead - I haven't watched since the Governor because the whole program is so relentlessly hopeless and sad. I can't get over that and how much suffering I have to watch just to see what happens to characters I like. Most times bad things happen to them and I am tired of all the death.

Hannibal - same reasons

Criminal Minds - same reasons

CSI - Just boring. I have seen it all and the surprise and charm is gone.

Mad Men - love the concept and of course Christina Hendricks but I have never seen more than ten minutes of the show. No one has ever talked me into why I need to watch more.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't watch any of those shows you listed Kal. Here is my current staples of viewing....

Arrow, The Blacklist, Elementary and Agents of Shield.

Also i enjoy the silly pleasures of American Pickers, River Monsters , Finding Bigfoot, Comic Book Men, Toy Hunter and Down East Dickering.

Looking forward to the new Flash tv series and as always i will go back and watch re-runs of Seinfeld and Coloumbo.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I just don't have the time to keep up with primetime cable drama.

But your reasons are good too.

Wings1295 said...

Out of those, I watch The Walking Dead and occasionally Criminal Minds. I like the 'unknown' about Walking Dead, just never know what's gonna happen.

j-swin said...

Game of thrones is good for violence, titties and peter dinklage. Hannibal is pretty good because we know how it ends but the pleasure is in the ride. Shield is great with all the little Easter eggs plus c'mon...joss. Elementary is getting boring and arrow is really picking up steam. Can't wait for flash and don't care about Gotham.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The only one of those shows that I watch is Mad Men. You know why.

Unknown said...

I'm not a big blood and gore guy but I do love a good story. Mad Men, GOT, TWD, and True Detective are all worthy of one's attention. I have no words to convince you, other than to say that you could be doing far worse than spending time with these fine tv creations.