Friday, June 13, 2014

A Million Ways To Die In The West

I don't know what it was about Seth McFarlane's rant on all the things that can kill you in the Old West that made me giggle so much but giggle I did. Then I continued to giggle throughout this goofy little Western comedy.


Everything is just enough off to make this one worth it on a rainy Friday afternoon. It' didn't do to well with Rotten Tomatoes at only 33% but comedy is such a subjective thing. You either like potty cowboy humor or you don't. I am one of the ones who likes these kind of low brow laughs.



"Maybe you should grow a mustache?"

"I can't afford to maintain a mustache.
All the creams and lotions are ridiculously expensive."

 





 
Charlize Theron shows she has great comedic timing as she takes our hero on as a sort of Western personal improvement program. Her relationship with McFarlane is sweet. We should all wish for a female wingman like her.
 
 
The lines come fast a furious and have a great mix of old western speech and modern comedic observations mixed in with all the loose foul language. It was fun to watch it get goofier as it went along. Everything, from the ultraviolent saloon fight to the final showdown was fun. It's no Blazing Saddles but what movie ever could be. Comparing it to that Mel Brookes classic is not a fair thing to do. McFarlane has Brookes to learn from and in time I can see this one growing on an audience that is out there for this type of comedy.
 
Plus there is nothing funnier than seeing all the ways that people die horrible deaths in the Old West. Funny is funny no matter how gross or gruesome the death becomes. Remember, I am a fan of those Final Destination movies.
 
There is a part of this movie that is so gross but also so funny. It would spoil it for me to tell you about it but defines what you find funny. I think half the jokes are meant to fail and some do land like a lead fart. I appreciated McFarlane's attempt here to make me laugh and tell a fun story. Not a waste of my time.
 

5 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

These poster taglines all sound like rejected GI Joe characters.

Kal said...

And that's the way they act in the film.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We went to this a couple of weekends ago and laughed quite a bit. Wasn't as good as "Ted" in my opinion though. I know which gross scene you're referring to and all I can say is that Neil Patrick Harris has sunk to a new low.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

PS -- We went to "Xmen: Days of Future Past" this afternoon. Loved it!

Kal said...

I knew you would like X-men. Wolvie was particularly good. I laughed so much at that NPH scene just because he was trying to get the second hat from the second guy to shit in and that guy kept swatting his hand away. I thought I was going to piss my pants.