Saturday, June 7, 2014

Edge Of Tomorrow

I have said this many times. Given the right script, Tom Cruise could actually become a movie star that I can believe in. I think this is that role. And finally he has found a script that is smarter than any science fiction or Tom Cruise movie has the right to be.


Tom is an everyman who finds his destiny when he is forced to go through the WORST episode of 'Ground Hog Day' ever.

I liked everything about this movie, it's trippy time travel loop of a story, the special effect and the comedy (yes, comedy) that kept me glued to the screen the entire time. This is one film that I will be sure to seek out when it`s released on Blu-Ray because I`ll bet there is about an hour extra footage. The movie feels like it would be just fine with additional action and personal material. I wanted more, of TOM FREAKIN` CRUISE. I know, I can hardly believe I am writing those words. I cheered for him to succeed because the aliens he is fighting are so hideous.

Remember - always unhook the trailer!

The epic action of "Edge of Tomorrow" unfolds in a near future in which an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world. Major William Cage (Tom Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop-forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again...and again. But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.(C) Warner Bros



Emily Blunt once again shows herself to be one of the most watchable actresses ever on screen. I can`t get enough of her spunk. Her and Cruise make a spectacular team. They make each other better as every great partnership does.



 
The script is so well written that any tiny faults are covered up by humour and Cruise`s matter of fact delivery of facts that only he knows, because he`s fought the same day over and over again. It is thrilling to watch all the pieces finally click into place. This has already been a hell of a good summer for movies and this one can proudly stand besides the likes of Godzilla and X-men - Days of Future Past for sheer thrills and good storytelling.
 

9 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

Sounds good. Thanks for the review. I will look out for it on DVD down herre.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Okay, another one to add to the list! And I actually quite like Tom Cruise as an actor.

Nick Ward said...

This starts here in NZ soon. Can't wait to see it and given your endorsement I will definitely give it my attention.

Kal said...

I hope you enjoy it. I was thinking it would be another OBLIVION but this one got the story right which as we both know is EVERYTHING.

M. D. Jackson said...

Allright, well, I guess I'll go see it then. It's playing at our local Bijou now and I was humming and hawing about it. You've convinced me.

Kal said...

You will really like it. I want to talk to someone about it after you see it.

Nick Ward said...

Seen it. Loved it. So much. Cheers for the recommendation. Sweet!

Kal said...

Thank you for the validation.

Kal said...

I especially liked the ending. Everything made sense and perfected the 'groundhog day' plot device.