Thursday, June 12, 2014

Penny Dreadful

Or better titled - League of Extraordinary Monster Hunters. I am a fan of Eva Green and Timothy Dalton so I was saving this one up in case I liked the first episode enough to carry on through season one. It also has the delicious Billie Piper (who of course played my beloved Rose Tyler) on Doctor Who. I owe it to myself to peek at anything she is in.

 
The dark back alleys and shitholes of Victorian London is the great setting for our gruesome little drama. A little sex, some Egyptian blood cursed vampire like creatures and of course Victor Frankenstein. What more could you possible want? It's got a nice gothic feel to it and a heavy shade of gloom falls over everything. I liked the way they gathered the team together and how each person has their specific role to play in the adventure. Each has a secret and each seeks redemption for something terrible they did in the past. The ending of episode one was brilliant so I will be back for more.

 
"Join me Doctor and you will behold terrible wonders."

 




 
 


3 comments:

Anthony Simeone said...

I really like what they're doing with the show so far! I'm also a sucker for all things Victorian, so just the setting keeps me interested. Eva Green does possession really well, and creepy! I know the show might be a bit inaccessible to some folks who are less steeped in the Victorian age and in the literature the show is pulling from, however. My wife, for instance, is one of those folks, and she pretty much wrote the show off after the first episode. Oh well, to each their own!

Anthony Simeone said...

P.S. What, no Eva Green character poster?!?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.