Monday, June 9, 2014

Riki Answered Me Back!

 
 
Calvin Heighton Thought you came off really well on the latest HEROES OF COSPLAY. I love the way you kept your cool on stage until the cards worked. That is a pro. Good luck with the rest of your season. I will also ask about Squirrel Girl one more time because I can't forgive myself if I don't.

  • Riddle's Messy Wardrobe Thanks Calvin, I was already a little disappointed I had to put ashe on hold and was exhusted cause I was pulling late nights to get that done, then to try to get elizabeth done. After just getting back from traveling to Ireland. Haha I gotta get squirrel girl just right

  • Calvin Heighton See, but no one could tell how frazzled you were. Keep doing that voodoo that you do and you will always have a fan in me.
 
I know to most of you it seems like no big deal but to me it's like making a connection with a Beatle (and it's not Ringo). I didn't come off as too much of a freakish fanboy, did I? All I did was speak the truth. I think Heroes of Cosplay is getting better and better as the season goes. They capture the joy in the creation of a costume. I love the process of design so I can't get enough of a show about creating superhero and fantasy costumes. And it's all the best artists and models in one place. I get what they do and what they have to do to create the art they create. It's hard to create the perfect illusion of model and costume and it amazes me that the best at it (like Riki) are the ones who never stop learning or challenging themselves. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass but so it was for Picasso on those hot days in his studio. I don't get much validation so this reply from her is very cool to me. I appreciate those who know me well enough to understand that.
 

9 comments:

Jeremy [Retro] said...

Hey, you are the king... you do need a court.

j-swin said...

That's awesome! It's always a great feeling when someone you adore acknowledges you and she really seems to appreciate her fans.

I do find it strange though that they show the cast working their asses off for a week or two just to fall to the wayside and someone out of left field wins with their halo outfit. I feel bad for the two girls who always enter together, they have such great costumes but rarely win since they don't flash skin.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice!

david_b said...

Excellent exchange. Great to experience..

I had the late great Russell Johnson email me a reply once, calling me 'sir' and thanking me for my military career and my current job serving veterans at the VA hospital here. He was an old WWII aviator.

His graciousness to me was just... too surreal.

Unknown said...

Congrats Cal! Riddle is always a great contender.

Unfortunately, the show is beginning to wear thin on me as they are focusing way too much on the people and their staged conversations. Like you, I am a fan of the craftsmanship, and wish they would focus more on that and not even cover the convention aspect. The same formula used every week is getting old -- will we finish on time, where are the packages I mailed, why isn't my tail staying on? I find myself cringing at the awkwardness way too much. These people have skills and talent, which is all I want to see. Give Crabcat Industries a show of their own, and focus on the building process like they do on Faceoff, and I'd be happy.

profsafety said...

That's VERY cool!

DrGoat said...

It is gratifying when someone you admire turns out to be all you expected, and have remained human and gracious.

Kal said...

I agree that the show needs to revamp it's style. The girls don't need to reintroduce themselves every episode. Maybe spread the prep over two episodes so they can follow more people in detail. I like the process. I want to see more of it also.

Mike said...

I totally get it