Friday, October 3, 2014

Broadchurch And Gracepoint

It's very rare that a British version of a show gets remade by America within the same 12 month period. Gracepoint is the US version of Broadchurch, the excellent nine episode David Tennant vehicle. It's interesting that Tennant plays the same character is both versions. I am searching for interviews where he might discuss why he wanted to tell the same story twice. I can imagine the challenge and the danger of comparison to be conflicting motivations.

I am so interested in seeing the differences between the two. Broadchurch was a fantastic nine episode mystery that was one of the best things I saw last year. Some found it slow but I like my mysteries to simmer along. I want lots of red herrings and at the end I want to be recognized for the genius I am because I always figure these out.


I have read that the story is altered to reveal a different killer but I will be watching everyone extra close this time around.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/gracepoint-broadchurch-foxs-adaptation-differs-british-original-1201265784/

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/gracepoint/32366/13-crucial-differences-between-broadchurch-and-gracepoint

Of course the bad thing is that Gracepoint is on FOX, the devil's graveyard for television shows. But for ten episodes I will watch.

 

 
 


6 comments:

LC Douglass said...

Thanks for posting this! I was wondering what had happened to Broadchurch and the American remake. Weird that the same lead actor will return to the role - with an American accent?

Kal said...

He really does a good job with the accent. I have to see how this version compares. I have never seen the like.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Are Americans so xenophobic and self-obsessed that they can't or won't watch a show where everyone has a British accent? I think so. THAT'S why they had to remake it to get Americans to watch.

Kal said...

So stupid. But I think you nailed it perfectly. They can't see beyond their own noses most times. Now I say that with peace of love to my American Brothers and Sister.

csmith2884 said...

Fox on Friday nights? We will be lucky to see half of this.

Kal said...

They will have to run it out because it's already bought and paid for. Plus they are taking a bath on Utopia. 50 million dollar reality show failure.