Monday, October 6, 2014

The Strain - Season One

 
I went to sleep a bit disappointed in the final episode of the first season of THE STRAIN, one of the best series I have watched in a long time. The 'final' confrontation with 'The Master' was thrilling but I was a bit disappointed that everything wasn't fixed - in fact, the big reveal is going to make the job of defeating these creatures even more difficult for our ragtag group of monster hunters. I wanted some kind of resolution last night but this morning I am impressed that the creators trusted in their story and didn't give up all their secrets even after a great first season. I was wrong to be disappointed and I am jacked up for season two. Several interesting story arcs were only beginning with episode 13.


 
I hope it doesn't spoil it for anyone if I mention that FOR ONCE they didn't just kill off a favorite character for shock effect. Our Scooby Gang remain INTACT for season two. When do you see that happen?

I know I could read the books or comics and discover the ending of the story but I liked the TV show so much that I can wait, even if that wait may be six months or more, for these actors and this team to deliver me the story of THE STRAIN.


 
Damn that covers looks good.
I have to read this comic now I think.
 

5 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Yeah, the Master's reveal left a lot to be desired, which is strange because the concept art and makeup in the behind the scenes featurette looks amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDOcaDwP3b0

I think the missing nose is what kills it.

Kal said...

It does look cartoony but after all we have seen over the decades of vampire movies, he's at least a less sparkling version.

Mike D. said...

The leader of the SWAT vamps is more effective as far as make up goes. The Master was right within an arms length of Satraikian. The old cliche of the villain talking too much took place in that scene. Also... Eph and Satraikian should have pounced on him when he was down...hacking in slicing. I didn't buy it they just let him lie there hoping the sun would kill him... Peter Cushing pounced on Chris Lee in the Hammer films. It would have shown desparation...the Master could still have gotten away but... The scene was weak. However... I still enjoyed the finale.

j-swin said...

it's the ears and the mouth flaps that makes him look ridiculous.

Kal said...

I was surpised by many things, and happy that they couldn't kill the Master with one try, or two as it were. They wounded him and Nazi boy got a bit of what is coming to him. I look back and enjoy it more for the story decisions that were made.