Saturday, July 11, 2015

Justice League - Gods And Monsters


Change just ONE thing about the Superman myth (by making General Zod and not Jor-el his father) and a whole different mythology builds around the so called 'heroes' of the Justice League. I never read the comic this was based on because I wanted a fresh take. It's also originally a Grant Morrison story and you all know how much his writing frustrates me. I can only hope the comic is as much fun as this movie. I am happy to say that I loved it so much I have to seek out the action figures.



The child of Zod grows up angry and dismissive of humanity after being raised my migrant Mexican farm workers. He and Wonder Woman and Batman have no issues with killing if it competes the mission. Once again this is not your Father's Justice League. It is very violent in places with many gruesome deaths. I appreciated the fresh take on characters who are altered just enough to make them interesting but still recognizable. It especially rewards long time fans with a ton of Easter eggs about characters who should exist as heroes or villains in this world but no longer do. Some like Ray Palmer (the Atom) has been killed along with Victor Freeze. What is the mystery to be solved here? You will never believe who the REAL villain of the piece is.


This time, Batman is an actual vampire. Not Bruce Wayne but Kirk Langstrom the original Man Bat. I like this alternative version of Batman. I learn new things about him every time the character is on screen and that is thrilling to an old time comic fanboy like me. No Bruce Wayne around to mess with the mythology of this alternate universe but plenty of old fashion Bat Ennui to go around.

Superman is not some Kansas farmboy either. He's a man with a plan of conquest - one his allies agree with especially after they become an efficient and deadly fighting force. There is no one to challenge these characters who straddle the fence between good and bad. Lots of grey areas here.  They have a complicated relationship with the government who seem to be the only ones who really provide any opposition to these 'heroes'.

"Crazy Ivy's bringing her homegrown." is one of the great lines tossed liberally about. I like the way the story goes back into the past of the characters to give us more background into their motivations.

The villain in this will surprise and overjoy long time fans of the comic books. The bad guys plan made total sense in a super villain kind of way.


Superman is less soft and sympathetic than the hero we know. He mistrusts humans and their intentions for him and all others like him. He thinks the only way to SAVE humanity is to RULE them. But there is a plan against the League. Finally the Justice League themselves are the ones on the run and they have everything to fight for.

Ah Amanda Waller as President. That's the good stuff. I love her character. The only one with the balls to stand up to Batman in the older Batman animated series.


Wonder Woman is not an Amazon but came from Apocalypse. Her name is Becca and she is meant for a Royal wedding to bring peace between Apocalypse and New Genesis. She belongs to no man but might love Steve Trevor and Superman (whose name we never hear). She was hurt badly once by her family but that is a story you need to experience for yourself. I would hate to spoil her backstory for you. It caught me very much by surprise.

I loved these background stories and the shifts in time are seamless. You are never left confused by what is happening even if you don't know the history of DC Comics. I certainly helps if you do have some knowledge of this Universe, however. In fact you will often smile at all the great things they did and how the DC you know is twisted in just enough of a way to make everything make sense. This is a thrilling superhero adventure. I even learned a few things about how a hero can change.

I loved it. This was a risk but one I am so glad that was taken by DC animated division. They keep raising the bar to greatness. In fact I understand THE KILLING JOKE is the next movie in the pipeline. That one is especially harsh and gruesome. It's how Batgirl was crippled after getting shot in the spine by the Joker and some say Batman kills the Joker at the end of that graphic novel. I personally believe he did but that is a discussion for another time.

Could my beloved Kingdom Come be far behind?



7 comments:

Jordan said...

Hey, Cal— did you check out the newest ComicCon stuff? "Walking Dead" trailer; "Superman v. Batman" trailer; "Star Wars" behind-the-scenes reel...all fantastic! I'd love to read your responses.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I dropped the walking dead a few seasons ago...too relentlessly sad but I might watch Fear the Walking Dead. I will probably do a recap of all the comic con news next week. I found the star wars thing to be a bit thin for me. I wanted more meat. Batman v Superman I didn't know was new.

Jordan said...

Walking Dead got much, much, much better (by everyone's reckoning; not just mine). I recommend you catch up. The last season, in particular, was fantastic.

I don't agree about Star Wars -- except that, of course, my appetite is whetted. If you're just saying that you're frustrated because you can't go see the movie right now, I agree.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I just wanted something more. I can't explain it. I have seen that kind of back scene footage all my life. It's like a trisket with nothing on it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I don't know about WALKING DEAD. It still breaks my heart too much. And I love to wallow in that stuff so it surprises me also. I have HELL ON WHEELS and THE SHIP to enjoy. I hope you watch both of those.