Saturday, August 15, 2015

Following The NZ Flag Debate

 
I just listened to a great interview on the CBC radio about the New Zealand flag debate that is going on down in the Southern Hemisphere. I understand there is widespread opposition to any change. Reminds me of the late 60s when Canada itself was looking for an identity separate from Great Britain. Back then it was about the old culture vs the youth culture that was a very significant issue in 60s Canada. After fifty years our flag has become universally loved and iconic. It's the only flag I have ever knows having been born five months after it was unveiled for the first time.
 
If I had to pick one I would go for the Silver Fern - level one, number eight I like it's simple design but like the interviewer says, I too like being one of the only countries with a distinctive leaf on their flag so maybe no change is best. Things change so fast these days. Maybe people want some traditions to remain untouched, regardless of the dirt that always comes attached to the old standard.
 
 
 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think they should keep the Southern Cross on it. I like row 3, number 2 best. Symbols of colonialism like the Union Jack should be ditched, I agree. That was then, this is now.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I do like the Southern Cross being included. If you have seen those stars you know.