Tuesday, August 18, 2015

From The Record Collection Of Cool

 
If you lived in Manitoba in the 70s you couldn't miss this TV show. It was on during lunch and before cartoons. That made no sense of course because what kid was home at lunch to enjoy the program? Maybe it happened more often back then than it does now.
 
The guy used puppets but had no skills as a ventriloquist. He would play songs like Doggie In The Window and Rhinestone Cowboy while he manipulated the puppet's mouth from behind his doghouse set piece. SO LAME. Often the camera guys would mess up on purpose and show the host using both voices to have his conversation with the puppets.
 
The puppets would also draw which of course meant the host using crayons and markers. Now from our perspective as viewers it looked like Marvin The Mouse was drawing with pencil crayons in his mouth. So some kids tried that and damaged the roof of their mouth when the tried to apply color to paper. Or at least that was the urban myth around the playground.
 
The puppets name was Archie Wood. Get it? WOOD?
 
The things I watched as a kid just to get to a Yogi Bear cartoon.
 

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My sister and I watched Uncle Bob every day at noon!!! Living in small town Manitoba, we walked home for lunch. Our fave was Marvin Mouse. Archie Wood and Petite sucked. Uncle Bob's finest moment on the show came one time when he opened a contestant's envelope, blew in it to make it easier to withdraw the entry form, and his upper plate of false teeth fell out.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Do you really have that album? Hahahahahaha!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I remember Marvin the mouse singing Rhinstone Cowboy by just movie his lips to the song. I do have this album to my shame.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Do you remember (or did I make it up in my head) him showing a winter survival film about not playing snow banks along the road or the snow plow will come and kill you. The PSA also had blood tossed on the snow. For some reason that image is seared into my brain. I fear death by snow plow ever since.

Could be one of those films they showed us on the base because they had a film to teach you about everything....gross and not so gross...but mostly gross. The fire one with the burn victims talking was a freakin horror show.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I suspect that was a base film. I don't remember seeing it on Uncle Bob and a graphic display of blood would not have been in his style. His big thing was "Kids, don't play with matches." I read an interview Uncle Bob gave later in life and he said that whenever there was a local news story of a house fire started by a kid, he always felt bad that his message had not gotten through.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Might have been. My memory is selective. I hear late in life that he would light random kids on fire to practice stop, drop and roll.