Monday, May 8, 2017

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell And The Pilot Of American Gods

Okay, let's put it out there right away. American Gods by Neil Gaiman was the last book that I read in my life. Not that the book was poorly done because it's a great read. I didn't know I would never again find the time for a good novel but there you have it. I got too involved in my shows and my binge watches and my 'adaptations' of books I should have read like Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell. I hear the book is terrific but a tough read. The miniseries I felt to be the anti-Harry Potter but a great magical adventure worthy of praise. Only 8 episodes so I loved it even more. I am sure the book would add much to the experience and maybe, someday I will read it.



But yes, American Gods I have read and so I have images of the GODS in my mind that now have to be recast in front of me. Who will play my Shadow Moon and Mr. Wednesday. I know already, of course and for the most part I am very happy with the choice of actors. Ian McShane is a gift with that sickly sweet delivery, who is better to play a trickster on a battle to get back what has been lost?



Shadow is a man with a past. But now he wants nothing more than to live a quiet life with his wife and stay out of trouble. Until he learns that she's been killed in a terrible accident. Flying home for the funeral, as a violent storm rocks the plane, he is greeted by a strange man in the seat next to him. The man calls himself Mr. Wednesday, and he knows more about Shadow than is possible. He warns Shadow that a far bigger storm is coming. And from that moment on, nothing will ever be the same.




1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've been meaning to read the book forever, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd like to see the series someday too. Looks good!