Thursday, October 24, 2019

Ben Cooper Made Crappy Halloween Costumes

 
I have always been obsessed with the outfits this company made. When I was a kid doing my trick or treating, they were the only game in town unless you made your costume yourself.

I always avoided these because as a comic book reader I was offended that they make no attempt at replicating the TRUE costume of the hero but instead prefer to make the costume into some kind of advertising for the character that the mask portrayed. For example, people will figure out who Doctor Strange is without him having to wear his name on his costume.

 
They also were poorly made and were not meant to last more than one wearing on one night of the year. For that reason the vintage ones are highly collectible. Anything that came out of the package usually ended up in the trash the next day.
 










 




 

6 comments:

Rob R said...

that Daredevl... err.. Batman... I mean... Daredevil is THE BEST!

Nathan said...

There's a documentary on these costumes, called "Halloween in a Box."

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I remember seeing that years ago. I was lucky to have an Uncle who took the time to help me put together a kick ass pirate costume for years - during a team before Halloween stores and anything better than these cheap costumes and cheap make-up sets.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I was in Grade 1 in 1963, I had one of their Cinderella costumes for Halloween. Only time I wore a mask. Hot, sweaty and smelly.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

And the elastic always broke and the mask started to break apart right out of the box. Today you would be mocked but back then this was the only stuff you could get if you didn't make your own costume.

Count Robot said...

One of my friends had the alien mask. it was kind of cool