Saturday, February 15, 2020

Tales From The Classroom - 60 Second Teacher Stories



I always loved this movie because I had the vinyl album as a kid and I would sing those songs with perfect pitch. 'Street Where You Lived' would have the whole apartment building crying. Then when I taught both English and Social Studies and I got burnt out I would toss is the unit that taught about how the Industrial Revolution created a deep class structure in England. A class structure that could be overcome with a little bit of luck, some determination and two genius teachers. There in lies my choice of this movie to make my point. And it had to be one they HAD NEVER SEEN. You would think that Junior High boys would HATE the musical parts but they would get caught humming the tunes when they least expected. Of course when Street Where You Live came on I always sang that song in my best voice. At first the class would always freak a little but then they were waiting for me to mess up or miss a note and I never did. Even at that powerful ending. Many standing ovations have been seen over that years.

I miss those times.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I was young, I had the original Broadway album with Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews. I loved each and every song on it. The movie producers robbed Julie Andrews of that role when the movie was made, but she was an unknown at the time and Audrey Hepburn was more bankable, even if her singing voice had to be dubbed.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yeh but I don't know if I would believe Julie as a street urchin or her transformation like I did with Audrey who I love so much. Did you ever see Pymalion with Peter O'Toole and Margo Kidder. It's the play without the songs but very good as well.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

No I never saw Pygmalion -- I'll watch for it if it ever comes on TV. It would be a Golden Oldie by now, I bet.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It's so good. They would show it in the 80s alot. I wonder if it is on You Tube. Great cast. No music but that makes it cool in it's own way. It's like a play with the way they filmed it.