Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Five Years Ago Today

Chicks are supposed to dig guys with scars so hopefully three more make me even more dangerous and interesting. 3 large shotgun pellets, one very close to my eye were excised by the brilliant Doctor Rodrigo Neira MD. I loved this guy. Laughs all the time and hugs me when I leave. Don't judge me. I don't have that much validation in my life. His nurse was also chatty and I totally charmed her to the point she was telling me her life story and we has a great conversation. It really helped to relax me. This is all happening while Doctor Neira is using his lazer scalpel to excise the skin around the burrowed pellets of buckshot. I could SMELL the burning of the skin. You never will forget that smell. The one near my eye was the largest and I could feel him tug and burn skin around the metal to get it loose. He also did some nice stitch work so close to my eye. I was most worried about that piece and he totally protected my eyeball and my sight. The other two are just most scars from my interesting life. Perhaps I will tell you the story one day. But now thanks to a genius with his hands, I no longer have the evidence that I was shot in the face actually IN my face. I don't have to touch it everyday in an OCD kind of way. It's not like I have some great beauty to spoil. I just hope that I age well into all those scars.




2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

They are scars of honour, Cal.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Proof that nothing can kill me. That's my curse.