Friday, August 7, 2020

Stargirl - Episode 9

Damn this Stargirl can go from light and breezy to dark and twisted in the blink of an eye. It's so easy to get caught up in all the characters and their struggles. They are all damaged souls. It's how they deal with that damage that makes the show so interesting.


I can see lots of sacrifice in the future for these heroes. I am totally invested in how this one is going to end it's first season. It's remarkably difficult to build a whole universe and mythology in only 13 episodes but this one somehow avoids all the pitfalls that can come from telling a long epic story that rewards everyone who watches it. It's corny and comic book like at times but that too is an advantage.


The young cast is always game for anything and they are all INTERESTING. I mean every single damn character is great. How that happened I will never know. It's a gift in these dark times.


My favorite evil villain Doctor Ito - Dragon King is a truly evil guy with a truly evil plan to use a truly evil machine to do a truly evil thing to a whole bunch of innocent people. The momens he explains the ultimate plan of the Injustice Society is perfection. It sang to the comic book lover in my heart, the one where the villains are just as worthy to be villains as the heroes are trying to be heroe. It's pretty complex stuff psychologically which also kinda blows my mind. I keep hoping that maybe Icicle will see the madness in his scheme and stops it from happening. I need the kind of heroic sacrifice of a tragically good man right now I think. Only a great actor can make me even entertain the possibility that in the end, Icicle will choose life over death and turn against Doctor Ito.


This show is a living, breathing comic book. I talk about it the way I would talk about any great comic book story.


It's also a weekly show so you can't just binge it away and forget about it. It's definitely appointment TV. I am savoring my episodes but I might have to binge so that I don't have things ruined by the social media feed when episode 13 happens next week and I think that is the end of Season One. I hope it is because I want that complete story. I really hope they don't end everything on a huge cliffhanger. That would be a major screwgie to the fans of this gem.


As the MAN once said - "Don't fuck this up, Mitchell."



\

No comments: