Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Matrix Resurrections


One of the singular best movies I ever saw in a theatre was the first Matrix movie. At this point I have it memorized and I can watch it and the two sequels anytime they show up on the TV. The fact that we can enjoy another go at this universe with the eternally young Keanu Reeves is a gift to me. If he signed up to make another sequel it must be something special. At least that is my hope going into this one.


First of all there is no reason to make a fourth Matrix movie without bringing something new to the table and I felt that the set-up to the story as well as the execution was very well done. Neo is back to his Thomas Anderson identity where he lives in the Matrix as a game developer who is famous for creating a series of popular games based on the Matrix. Get it? He is under a psychiatrist's care because there is something tugging at him that he can't let go of. He often feels like he is going insane and is unable to tell reality from fiction. He is primed to take the red pill and journey back down the rabbit hole.

60 years have passed since the first film and a whole new caste of characters join old ones to draw Neo back to the Matrix and back to Trinity. Those scenes are full of great nostalgia and call backs to the original series in a nearly seamless way. I was totally invested in the adventure and was just as thrilled with this story as I was with the original trilogy. It's thoughtful and full of all kinds of interesting ideas about the nature of self. It's all very meta and self aware.

I enjoyed it.

Its emphasis on the romance between Neo and Trinity allows Resurrections to become a devastatingly sincere movie about how love is the best weapon we have to make sense of a world that fills our heads with the white noise of war and conflict on a forever loop. – David Ehrlich, IndieWire


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love the first Matrix movie too, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I never watched the two sequels because I heard they were awful, so I deliberately have never seen them so as not to sully the perfection of the first movie.

Tony Nichols said...

This was, hands down, one of the worst movies I have ever seen... My family was watching it together, and someone thought to bring up the progress bar and when it was only halfway, everyone, as a group, just groaned and got up and walked out of the room. None of us will ever finish it. I felt like the metatextual aspects at the beginning were promising, but as soon as it devolved into a "rescue Trinity" story, it all turned to mush with characters talking utter nonsense, terrible action scenes, and just the most boring story ever written for film.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It sure was divisive but for some reason I totally got into it.