Saturday, January 22, 2022

Werewolves Within (2021)



What started out as a routine parlour mystery about who in a snowed in mountain inn is really a werewolf turns out to be more than worth the sum of it's parts. It's low budget and low rent but I haven't enjoyed a movie like this in a long time. Add to that the addition of my beloved Milana Vayntrub to the cast and I found a real hidden gem. It reminds me of the harmless PG rated creature features from back in the 80s.



You could basically perform this entire movie on a stage as everyone is a suspect when an old man and a tiny dog get eaten by a large mountain predator. What else could it be BUT a werewolf or his classier cousin, the Wendigo? This is a conclusion that every character buys into right from the jump which is where all of the comedy comes from. I appreciated that point of view because to go the serious way would have lost something and turned this into an ordinary creature feature. This is the Asylum with a much better and more fun story to tell.


I admit that I figured out who was the werewolf early on but that is because I am a genius but if you miss it the eventual reveal is pretty good as is a strong third act were most of the film's budget was spent.





A proposed gas pipeline has created divisions within the small town of Beaverfield. When a snowstorm traps its residents together inside the local inn, newly arrived forest ranger Finn (Sam Richardson) and postal worker Cecily (Milana Vayntrub) must try to keep the peace and uncover the truth behind a mysterious creature that has begun terrorizing the community.

3 comments:

Barbecue17 said...

This sounds pretty good. I think I've seen this on a shelf somewhere. Did it recently come out on Blu-Ray/ DVD? The cover looks really familiar.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

it was on Crave so I started it. It did just get released

Fiendenstein said...

Really enjoyed it too, its based off a card game and is a pretty good representation of the vibe you get from it. THere's not enough good Werewolf movies