Wednesday, February 7, 2024

The Mighty Hercules And Saturday Morning Cartoons



I remember this one from my youth. It was a time where you couldn't just watch what you wanted to watch like cartoons. Your choice in cartoons back then were very limited. You only had so many channels of choice to choose from also. 

We had thirteen channels and that was it. Kids programming was limited to Saturday mornings., No You Tube or Tik Tok or Instagram. We existed at the whim of some studio executives who themselves were under pressure to create a good Saturday morning cartoon line-up. These days I can create my own cartoon programming . I can watch the best of the best like Justice League whenever I want. No longer does one have to wait until Saturday morning. I am my own programmer. 

TV programmers had to fill their airtime with content that attracted audiences but which met with approved by advertisers.  All the Networks allotted the time to get every child watching and then sold off that time to advertisers at a premium, Advertisers knew they had a captive audience and targeted products like toys to our youngest consumers. Now that is some cold ass capitalist bullshit but I never saw it that way at the time. I was a great reason to get up early on Saturday just to sample all the great stuff they offered special just for me. In many ways I miss those more innocent times..



1 comment:

Count Robot said...

The theme song cracks me up.
I used to sample it at some shows.