Sunday, September 20, 2009

Baby's First Superhero Cartoon



I just watched the first episode of Marvel Super Hero Squad, the cartoon based on the 'all too precious' toys with the big feet from Marvel's baby division. Now if I was a four year old this would be the greatest things I had ever seen and if I HAD a four year old I would be totally glued to the couch with him/her. Since my emotional development ended at age six its not really made for me but it is still a neat little artifact. These comments contain spoilers but if you can READ this post you are too old for this cartoon anyways.

Hulk is cutely dumb like your child who is eating what he/she just picked out of his/her nose.

Silver Surfer talks like a surfer dude. Who didn't think of this before? And stoned out of his cosmic brain.

Lots of slapstick, bad puns and goofiness for kids to laugh at. Nice to see something made specifically for the youngest set.

FIN FANG FOOM - 'nuff said

Wolverine is grouchy ("Don't call me WOLVIE!). Make sure you give the 'knives are dangerous' speech several times to your little impressionable snowflakes.

Ms Marvel and Storm are your typical girls in a club full of boys. Bossy and always trying to prove themselves. Ladies, your opinion? I would make a PMS joke but that would not be appropriate.

I could have done without the 'Hero Up' montage but I guess with so many characters you have the option of picking many combinations for the many missions ahead.

Um...where is Spidey? Kids love Spidey. Someone messed up the focus group data.

Doom is clearly the bad guy cause he lives in a dirty palace and is a big meany. So is Mole Man because he has sinus and burping and farting problems. (Farts are funny at any age). Time to teach your kid what it meant when Iron Man said "flatulence detector".

"Loogiezilla" is a cute name for a snot throwing monster. (Again with the funny fluids) And nice touch to have him pick his nose only to find a snot covered Hulk stuck in there deep.

I do appreciate the effort they made to make this interesting for adults too because they knew us geeks would love to watch this with our kids. The toy potential is there but not so much of a 'sell sell sell'.

They make alot of kid-like mistakes and there are lessons aplenty.



1 comment:

Wings1295 said...

I SO wish DC/Warner Bros. would do a show like this with their new Super Friends line. Would love a new generation to fall in love with the characters, especially Aquaman, again!