Friday, January 8, 2010

Sherlock Holmes


I am a huge fan of Robert Downy Jr. I can't remember a film he has ever been in where he let me down. The material may have not been up to his standards but as an actor he is always interesting to watch. For this reason I had little problem with his casting as Sherlock Holmes. He has a way of making interesting choices and I knew that his Holmes would have enough quirks to satisfy this viewer.

I am not so big a fan of director Guy Richie. I liked 'Rockaroller' because the writing was very interesting and was not what I expected at all from the film. I knew his version of Sherlock would be an acquired taste right from the beginning. His Holmes would be more of an action star than we are used to in similar tales involving the famous literary sleuth. Downey plays Holmes as less mannered, less organized and more impulsive that we would expect but these choices worked for me.

As important as the role of Holmes is, the role of Watson, his partner in (solving) crime is really what makes the relationship interesting. It has survived all this time as a contrast between a man who is pure EGO and a man who is more of a combination of EGO and ID. Jude Law fit the bill perfectly.

The changes they made to Watson's character matched up very well with the changes the film made with Holmes. More of a best buddy, than a 'handler, Law's Watson emphasizes the reasons for the duo's friendship in a way I could relate too. Watson is impressed with Holmes not only for his skills but for those parts of Holmes' personality that need much work on. Watson is not afraid to point them out knowing full well that while Holmes may register the complaint, he will always remain his own man. Watson secretly wishes he WAS Holmes and could operate his life free of the conscience that keeps him from fully abandoning the societal norms of Victorian England. He has his reputation as a doctor to maintain.


So taken in it's totality, the Holmes/Watson relationship is more than a bromance but less than a gay coupling. They bicker back and forth like a married couple and have the kind of conversations that one has with a friend who knows all of your secrets. This part of the movie was very strong. I just wish these two guys had something more interesting to do with their time than the movie allows.

Many have also complained that Holmes is too much of a fighter and action star and less of a cerebral solver of puzzles. The fact that Holmes is the master of a thousands disciplines, why wouldn't martial arts from all over the world be part of his skill set? I love the way he plans each fight in his head to best make use of his abilities and time and tailors his style to each individual he comes into conflict with. A real life Holmes would do the EXACT same thing. It's almost Batman like in it's realism.

The big problem with this movie is that the story lets down the two good actors at its center. The 'mystery' for Holmes to solve is pretty mundane and only seeks to put him and Watson into situations they have to jump, run, punch, kick, or slide their way out of. I actually watched half the movie and came back to it 24 hours later only to complete the viewing. I didn't look forward to watching the ending so I assume that anyone who saw it in the theatre squirmed in their seats for most of it.

Was it a success? Partially. Will be get a sequel? Hopefully not. This film is very forgettable. Save your money and watch it when it comes on the movie stations and wait for Iron Man 2. I am sure there will be a script there that is worthy of Downey's talent.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Hey...didn't you say you hadn't left your cave since 01Nov? How did you get out to see the movie? And I am looking forward to it as well, but as a download...er...TV viewing not theater.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

By the magic of bit torrent. It's the way I see most of my movies.

Unknown said...

I'm a huge Holmes fan myself, but I wasn't sure I would like Downey's depiction and I was right. When I saw the preview, my first thought was huh?

My first thought was right!

Booksteve said...

An intriguing and insightful review.If I haven't seen the flick by now, though, I'm definitely waiting til cable.

erin said...

I loved the film, actually. In the novels Doyle always refers to these adventures that Holmes goes out on and comes back injured or hints at how he saved us all or that he's studied some master martial art in the far orient...

So when I was watching this film I just imagined that it was taking place outside of the convential sir arthur conan doyle story.

I thought the satanic magic stuff was stupid though, could have totally done without it.

Wings1295 said...

Will probably be waiting for cable or Netflix for this one.