Saturday, January 9, 2010

Smokin Aces Two - Electric Boogaloo



Usually when a movie goes 'direct to video' you have a pretty good idea what you can expect from it. No major stars and a half-assed effort by all involved. Occasionally you find a film that inexplicably wasn't released to theatres. I found this with both 'Franklyn' and 'Dorian Grey'. Both were excellent in my opinion and certainly could have held their own against films like the Chipmunks sequel if they had been given the chance to succeed. But, I am not in the movie business so what do I know?

I enjoyed the first 'Smoking Aces' movie. It was ultra violent and batshit crazy and didn't let up in the action for second. Plus, Alicia Key was very sexy in it. This sequel (which is a prequel) begins with an old, wheelchair bound former agent (Tom Berenger) being told that he is the subject of an assassination order - an order that has brought out the world's top killers to fulfill. What they want with this elderly retired agent is unclear.

Joe Carnahan wrote this film as he did the first 'Smokin Aces' movie. The movie has all of his trademark twists and he approaches the material with a lot of confidence. After all, he clearly has a love for this subject matter and you get the feeling that he really wanted to ramp up the blood and guts and try to outdo the craziness of his earlier effort. On that note he succeeded. I was hoping for a more colorful group of assassins this time but they turn out to be more 'cookie cutter' than unique and interesting.

Vinnie Jones is the only recognizable actor beside Berenger. I always liked his tough guy persona and I really want to see him in something mainstream (X-Men 3's Juggernaut doesn't count) because he brings alot of energy to his roles. Currently he is one of the housemates in the UK version of Big Brother. He comes across as a great guy and totally unlike the person portrayed in the British tabloids.

The film is basically a live action cartoon (akin to Itchy and Scratchy) and its great to see everyone get into that spirit. No one is without sin so they all deserve to die. I love not having someone to root for. I just need to wait for the characters to die in violent and creative ways. Some do but most don't.

There is a twist that I figured out almost from the beginning. I was impressed and disappointed with myself for that. Also, for a group of profession gunmen and gunwomen, no one seems to be a very good shot. This is my pet peeve with any assassin movie like this one, it's predecessor and 'The Tournament'. I suppose it's not as visually exiting to have a 'one shot, one kill' policy but having a thousand rounds tear up a bar without killing any of those doing the shooting is just stupid.

There are also a couple of bizarre turns and glaring plot holes that disappointed me. Another pass at the script might have fixed these deficiencies. As it is the movie is nothing special and feels like an opportunity lost. No wonder it went 'direct to video' as it should have. Mystery solved.

"You still scared of clowns Lester?"

"I ain't scared of them...per say. I am just very mindful of their movements that's all.


No comments: