Sunday, February 14, 2010

Labyrinth (1986)


Believe it or don't. I have never seen this movie. You would think that anything with Jennifer Connelly in it I would be all over with the honey stick. I suspect it had a lot to do with the love many females in my life had for it and you know how any hype for anything chases me away quicker than a Dad on the front porch with a shotgun.


Once again we have a story populated with characters found in a young girl's room that suddenly come to life when she wishes her little brother 'away' and he actually goes missing. This leaves us with wondering if this all is real or merely imagined.


I was disappointed to see that Connelly is no Faruza Balk and she over plays many of her emotions, especially anger. She is way too old to be playing such a childish character with the breasts of an adult. No parent would leave an infant in the care of such an immature brat. She is very pretty, however, and that was a nice distraction at times. Thankfully she has taken acting classes since then.

First of all the girl would have been charged with the baby's disappearance by the police and without any body to be found she would be off to 'juvie'. Not the coming of age story that this night was meant to be. Time to grow up Sarah and put your toys away and accept responsibility. That 'goblin defence' isn't going to work so she is off on the 'adventure of a lifetime' to retrieve her kidnapped brother.


Of course she believes that the Goblin King has taken her baby brother away as per her request. He comes to Sarah and convinces her to turn back because there is a task or loophole that will save her brother if Sarah is able to complete the quest put before her. Sounds more like a guy trying to trick a girl into loving him, something I guess 15 year old fantasize alot about.

When I saw how open and low the labyrinth walls where I wondered why Sarah just didn't climb on top of them and walk towards the castle. She is a girl of very little brain.

I found most of the movie to be full of moments like this but maybe I just don't get it. Maybe it's a girl/goblin thing.

Jim Henson directed this movie and there are puppets a plenty. Just not enough gun battles or car chases for my liking.

2 comments:

erin said...

The Labyrinth is my favorite movie. I love every second of it. My kids refuse to watch it with me because I know all the words and talk the whole way through it!

Levaithud said...

First off calvin, you're watching it with adult eyes and adult sensabilities. Had you watched it when you were younger and the proper age for such movies then I'm quite sure it would have had a much bigger impact and become one of your most loved movies. Much like the first time you attempt to juggle chainsaws shouldnt be as a child, the first time you watch Labyrinth shouldnt have been as an adult. You ruined it. Forever.