Monday, March 15, 2010

30 Day Music Challenge Day 7 - A Song That Reminds You Of A Particular Event

Queen was the first band I really got into. To me, Freddy Mercury was the greatest singer of the rock era. His range and power and emotion were like nobody else. He also had a wicked 70s mustache. The first video I ever saw was for 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and it was one of those 'filmed songs' that the 'Midnight Special' would routinely show.

After Freddy died of AIDS they had that huge tribute for him in Wembly Stadium where all the top musicians did their versions of the entire Queen musical catalogue. I was glued to the couch all day.

When it came time to sing 'Somebody To Love' I saw that they brought out, of all people, George Michaels to sing lead. I thought I was gonna barf up my cheesie poofs. Maybe that is what makes something so great - low low low expectations that suddenly are squelched by a great performance.

Of all the songs that day, THIS was the one I know Freddy smiled down at the most.

4 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Was a great, great rendition of the song. Great tribute. When George Michael is good, he is very, very good.

meheart said...

Try http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=XDLoqriVees&feature=related if you are not a big George Michael fan. It is truly amazing. I agree Wings "When George Michael is good, he is very, very good".

California Keys said...

That was absolutely awesome! I loooooove Queen (even though I'm a newer fan of their less popular stuff)....

But how can you not be a George Michael fan? Don't you have faith a-faith a-faith? Can't you hear the Careless Whisper? What about Freedom? Wake Me Up Before You Go Go? He's a fantastic artist....

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have to admit he is one I wish could conquer his demons and be more productive. He takes a lot of flack for her personal life but that man has a body of work that can't be denied.