Friday, May 7, 2010

Bite Me Big Oil


Now please can someone explain to me why more ideas like these don't get full play and funding in a world where our addiction to oil seems to be at the heart of so many of our problems. Of course I already know the answer to that question but I like the way it makes my head explode just to ask.

All the damage these things will do is maybe chop up a few fish until they learn to avoid them. (you got 7/10ths of the planet to roam you stupid fish). You can put them in places that are remote and still generate all the power we could ever need.

What's that you are saying? How will the oil companies and Saudi princes maintain their wealth and power? Why should I care? The princes employ only servants and the oil companies pay for bad employees, bad ideas, bad influence, and bad advice. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings there.

"A Swedish start-up company called Minestro is developing a system for harvesting energy from ocean currents. “Deep Green” consists of kites and turbines anchored to the ocean floor:

When operational, the turbine is expected to generate 500 kilowatts of power.

One of the big advantages of their technology, Minesto executives say, is its small size — 12 meters for the wingspan and one meter for the turbine — relative to other tidal-energy designs.

The company hope to begin trials of a scale model in 2011 at Strangford Lough, in County Down, Northern Ireland — which is already home to a commercial tidal power device operated by UK renewable energy company, SeaGen."


9 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Have you actually read Frank Herbert's Dune books?

The CHOAM company (OPEC) harvested the spice (oil) and made big profits until the Fremen (Arabs) under Muad'Dib (Insert upstart Arab Royal name here) realized that they had the world over a barrel (neat expression, huh?) and could control the whole schmeer.

Shaddam the 4th (America) in exile, tried to raise sandworms, the source of the spice, on Selusa Secundas (Drilling for oil off American shores) in an attempt to break the power of Muad'dib.

That ended badly.

Now you know.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Um..did you read the END of that story. Muad'dib came to rescue the Fremen and lead the universe to true freedom. He ended the monopoly of spice by those companies and made them adopt his reforms - okay force adopt for a thousand years but you get my point.

The spice was still vital, everyone still plotted and schemed over it but they had to learn to live in a world without their spice profits and the control it gave them. The corruption ended and was replaced by a tyranny of the minority. In my mind that can be a good thing.

If you are lucky you live long enough to see the hero become the villain.

I could use some regulatory villainy right now over the tyranny of de-regulation.

That being said I enjoyed your DUNE explanation very much. Hit me where I live buddy.

M. D. Jackson said...

Yeah, but... Dune is science Fiction, man!

Okay, my analogy doesn't hold all the way to the end, but you get the point.

Either way, the current oil situation is untenable, but the alternative is just as frightening.

Nomad said...

What’s so frightening about nukes, solar panels, wind farms, gas/diesel made from algae and plastic made from corn starch?
got quitoro

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Nomad - AND a return to cane sugar pop. The alternative is so frightening because people will not allow the least little bit of inconvenience to enter their lives. If I have to get my fat ass on a bike to get to the 7-11 for beef jerky then I can take it and it might actually be good for me in the long run.

When is 'ENOUGH' enough. I don't want the world to become this self sufficient hippy compoud over night if even at all. I just want SOME elightened thinking to rule the day....just once I want to hear TRUTH with RESULTS and not all this balloon juice.

M. D. Jackson said...

Amen, Brother!

(Alternatively, you could always take a rickshaw to the 7-11. It would save you the inconvenience of actually having to walk or bike and would gainfully employ a Mexican lad who was forced to leave Arizona.

See, peak oil is all sunshine and lollipops!)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Now this 'mexican lad' pulling my rickshaw that you speak of. Could he also double as a 'rent boy' perhaps?

I keed I keed. Calvin like the ladies. I just love that term - 'rent boy'. It is so SPECIFIC.

Nothing ambiguous about that relationship. What does one call the guy who actually 'rents' the 'boy'? I would say 'sugar daddy' but I want to make sure I use the correct term at all the cocktail parties I attend. It's the spring formal season you know.

M. D. Jackson said...

The correct term would probably get you uninvited from most cocktail parties.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks for the tip. I do so loves me those 'pigs in a blanket' that they serve on silver trays.