Sunday, January 23, 2011

The King's Speech


I am one of those people that loves historical dramas especially if they portray a specific true event in history that I had no knowledge about. Usually these kinds of films are set during the time of the British Empire and are cast with terrific British actors and actresses. They have depth. They have class. They wear all the best clothing and live in the most sumptuous environments. Well, at least in my mind and the mind of Hollywood filmmakers they do.


'The King's Speech' is exactly the kind of movie I like to watch a Sunday afternoon. It tells the story of how King George VI overcame his severe stuttering impediment to give a speech at the beginning of WWII designed to rally his people. Colin Firth plays the King in a performance that for him may be just another walk in the park (we are spoiled because he NEVER gives a bad performance) but for the audience is magnificent to watch. He is going to win the Oscar for this one. It's a done deal.


If Firth wasn't good enough, you have Helena Bohnam Carter as the Queen (or Queen Mom as most of us knew her as) who's love for her county and husband has her seek out an unorthodox speech therapist (a role that could only be played by Geoffry Rush) to prepare the King for this important moment in history. I had forgotten what a great actress Carter is having seen her in so many movies lately that force her to overact ('Harry Potter', 'Alice in Wonderland', 'Sweeney Todd') She is a real force to be reckoned with as the Queen.


The sheer terror of having to speak in public is evident on Firth's face from the moment we see him and you can't help but feel for him and the situation he is in. In the age of radio, thousands of people can become aware of their sovereign's weakness after only hearing a few sentences. I found myself wanting to take over for him and do the job myself. After all, who would know if was me and not him on the radio. THAT is the genius of this picture.


You are totally absorbed into this world from the first moment and you are there to celebrate the triumph you know will be coming at the end. In the middle you are treated to some great scenes by some of the greatest living actors around. The relationship between Rush and Firth is terrific. The doctor cares more for his patient than for the patient's status or the rules of how is suppose to interact with a future King. The two men develop a deep friendship and it's that trust that allows the King and the doctor to succeed.

You feel the pressure George VI is under to hold up the honor of the Royal family and to 'act' the part of king. There is a great scene were George V tells his youngest child (Firth) that HE is the one who will have to pick up the pieces and stand against the forces of Stalin, Hitler, and his wayward brother (Edward VIII) who George V believes will only lead the country to ruin when he becomes king. Not a lot to carry on one's shoulders, is it?


This has been mentioned before but I really liked that King Edward VIII (Guy Peirce) is portrayed as a jerk and not some young man who loved so much that he gave up the throne for a woman he was told he couldn't marry. Usually that is shown as a noble thing - here it is shown in the more truthful light, as a selfish act and an abdication of responsibility to the people of the Empire. King's aren't suppose to act in their own interest.

The whole production feels effortless and for me that is what makes it the best picture I have seen this year. The film is funny, interesting and deeply moving. The 'Social Network' was too showy in it's use of language (but still brilliant) and 'True Grit' (while also fantastic) was the retelling of a story I had already been exposed to. This is just the kind of picture I would be proud to vote for as best picture. Just because it's a safe choice, an easy choice, doesn't mean that it's not the BEST choice.

10/10

8 comments:

Paladin said...

This is definitely on my list to see. Firth is genius in everything I've seen him in.

M. D. Jackson said...

In the early 90's Colin Firth and Meg Tilly lived in a house not far away from where I was living in the lower mainland. I never saw them, but I knew which house they lived in. At the time I was more interested in Meg Tilly (Colin who?)

Kal said...

Last year he was great in 'Dorian Gray' I can't believe how that movie was a 'direct to video' release. It's a very well done remake of that often filmed tale.

Kal said...

Last year he was great in 'Dorian Gray' I can't believe how that movie was a 'direct to video' release. It's a very well done remake of that often filmed tale.

Doo said...

Not in my cinema yet, can't wait!

Laura said...

Debbie and I are going to see this tomorrow night! I cannot wait!
So glad you liked it!

((Hugs))
Laura

Kal said...

Looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Megan said...

I don't know anyone in the business but I live in LA and the buzz reverberates...and the buzz says he is a solid lock for this. And thank you, for pointing out that Helena can still do non-manic. I am looking forward to seeing this.