Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fantastic Four 2 - Rise Of The Silver Surfer (2007)


When this movie came out I heard so much bad about it that I didn't even bother to see it, thinking that sometime down the line it would appear on satellite and I could watch it on the big screen TV. Today just happened to be that day.

There is something to be said about going into a picture with very low expectations. You really can't be let down and I wasn't. This was a fun superhero adventure that of course was nothing like the comic book story of the Silver Surfer and Gallactus. They did however, get the Fantastic Four right in many respects.


Future Captain America Chris Evens is as hotheaded and impulsive as you would expect from a guy who can burst into flames. Ben Grimm (The Thing) is the rocky strongman with a heart of gold. Michael Chiklis (The Shield) does a good job bringing the character to life. Reed (Mr. Fantastic played by Ioan Gruffudd is the stretchy scientist who is constantly distracted by other things and Jessica Alba is as beautiful and sexy as Sue Storm (The Invisible Woman) is in the comic books.

Dr. Doom could have been eliminated from the film entirely but since he is there I like the way his arrogance and bitterness came across in the performance of Julian McMahon.


I was let down that when the Big G showed up that he was really just a big space cloud. Did they think that showing him as he appears in the comics would be too goofy? The Silver Surfer effect, however was very well done.

Many of the set pieces and action sequences were what you would expect from a big summer blockbuster and the film never dragged. For me that only adds points towards my review total.


The theme of 'team' and 'family' was a huge part of the script as they are a huge part of the comics which I have read since I was a child. For that reason I was primed to give the shortcomings of this film a major pass.

I have a feeling the first two films in this franchise will be better regarded as time goes by. Of course the hard core geeks will never like them but in this case I choose to disagree with my genre loving brothers and sisters.

6/10

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've liked Ioan Gruffudd ever since he played Horatio Hornblower.

Rod Barnett said...

Low expectations didn't help me when I suffered through this crappy film in 2007. After the first film you'd think I would have known better....

http://pitofrod.blogspot.com/2007/08/suck-summer-2007-continues.html

Kal said...

Sometimes a movie catches me at a point where I find myself enjoying it in spite of myself. When that happens I have two choices - write the review I think others want me to write or write about the movie experience as I saw it in the moment.

This one (like both 'Cats and Dogs' movies) got by the firewall in my brain that usually keeps crap from penetrating too deeply.

I realize I have lost all geek cred for the moment but I am confident I will get it right back sometime in the near future.

DrGoat said...

Yeah, when they depicted Galactus as that cloud or whatever, it pissed me off.

Will said...

It was better than the 1st movie in
my opinion

Also The Torch/Thing dynamic was
spot on

Wandering Coyote said...

Ioan Gruffudd is just plain YUM.