Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Golden Age Of TV Superhero Animation



I feel so blessed to get to enjoy great superhero cartoons these days. The first season of 'Avengers' (that just ended) was terrific and smart and so is the first season of 'Young Justice'. It is sorta a new version of teen titans with the next generation of heroes being schooled in the art of the superhero by their Justice League mentors. We still get to see the great heroes like Batman, Superman, Green Arrow, Flash, and Aquaman that we love but they are in the background, a constant model for the young heroes to live up to.

The team consists of Aqualad (new version), Robin (Dick Grayson), Kid Flash (Wally West), Miss Martian and the clone of Superman (Superboy). Superboy is an interesting character because he is angry and arrogant about being a copy and it's his bad attitude that causes him to fail. He has the most to learn about being a hero and a person.

Check out these clips. I hope you find them interesting enough for you to seek out the show.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ARGH Teaser Clips! I have to waaaaaiiiit.

Kal said...

I am sure you can find the early episodes on YOU TUBE if they aren't showing the cartoon in your part of the world. That is how I found BLACK PATHER which was also a great six episode show.

Anonymous said...

I've already seen all the prior episodes. I am sure that it airs in Australia I just don't have foxtel/austar so I watch it on the internet. I just meant that I have to wait for the next episode...

Kal said...

I see, so you have a problem with delayed gratification. Good luck with that. It really never does get better as you get older.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I know the Shakespeare bust is a carry over from the Adam West show, but I always thought a bust of Edgar Allan Poe would be more appropriate if the Dark Knight were to display a literary influence.

Superboy hasn't actually done much in the episodes we've seen thus far except grunt. I remember reading an interview with producer James Tucker on the short lived "Legion of Super Heroes" show, saying there was considerable pressure to make Superman darker and edgier and more like Batman. That certainly sounds like how money focused executive would talk. Here Superboy's grumpy characterization more sense. I do like how Robin is so sunny and Superboy more sullen by comparison because their upbringing has been so different from their predecessors.

After the unfortunate canning of "Spectacular Spider-Man" its good to see Greg Weisman turn around and help create another great superhero show.

Kal said...

You do know your cartoons. 'Spectacular Spider-Man' was great.

I love the way in those clips that Batman just watched from the window.

The thing that always amazed me is that Robin turned out so sunny after all that time spent with Batman.

Miss Marvel is terrific too.