Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Stupid Bowl


Believe it or not, I am not a huge sports guy. I do enjoy big events like the Olympics and the Stanley Cup playoffs but I really hate the Super Bowl. After finally weeding things down to two teams, everyone has to endure the week before the big game with all things inconsequential - what kind of body spray does the defences use? Which angel will the guy responsible for the Gatorade be praying to? Who will cry whether he wins or loses?

I know my attitude comes from one thing - the fact that forever, the 'award' winning commercials shown during the Super Bowl are never shown in Canada. Think about that for a second. After some deal with the Devil, it was determined that Canadian commercials for businesses like Joe's Pita and Pizza Pit Extravaganza should run alongside the kind of week ass advertisements that you see at Christmas when parts businesses show the company Christmas card and thank you for your year's patronage. I swear I have also seen these holiday spots recycled for the day of the big game. It's embarrassing.

Sure football can be a fun game to watch but the lack of quality commercials in Canada (which I hate already) along with the day long lead up to the flipping of the coin, annoys and bores me to no end.

Don't even get me started on the lame half-time show.

I had a friend that I meet in Yellowknife that probably still throws the best Super Bowl parties. He was a freak for that kind of thing. You show up about noon and you are drunk and full of moose chili by four. He also had a great games room and I am proud to say that I played marathon games on his 'Charlie's Angels' pinball machine and never once saw anymore than ten minutes of the 'big' game. He always made too much food so you got sent home with enough garlic sausage, cheese and chili to feed you for the next three days.

Now THAT is how do Superbowl Sunday right.

3 comments:

Sam G said...

That does sound like a great party! Usually the only good thing about the SB are the commercials. Sucks that you don't get to see them up there.

Kal said...

I was worse before the times of the Internet. You were lucky to see one or two of the best ones on the news the next day. These days I can see them all on Monday so it's no big deal. I hope some movie trailers are good and some commercials are creative. I just don't want to see an Annhyser Bush add with baby horses ever again though.

Sam G said...

Thank the gods for the internet. I think they're going to show a trailer for "Captain America" during the SB this year. Can't wait.