Friday, July 8, 2011

8 Out Of 10 Cats

I love that there are places on the net that allow me to download episodes of foreign television programs. There are some pretty great shows beyond our continent and '8 Out of 10 Cats' is right near the top of my favorites list.

I have mentioned this show before. It brings together a group of British comedians or personalities talking about the news of the day. The whole thing is presented as a game show but the outcome really doesn't matter. There are no prizes to be won. That format is the real greatness of the show.

The topics to make jokes about will never run out and there are lots of great material for comedians, who are really good at this kind of improvisational stand-up, to riff on - One of the best of them, Sean Lock can be seen in the clip I provided. I like how he keeps giving you jokes even after he has gotten the big laugh. I like that kind of comedic confidence.



Watching one of these very funny panelists go on a rant about something is a gift to anyone who likes British humour. This season they have recruited a very beautiful but very dumb reality TV star. She doesn't get half the jokes directed at her but she is so nice about it and her presence has up the games of every creative talent on that show.

Host Jimmy Carr is a master at improv and making his 'guests' look good so that they can be as funny as they can be. His deliver is also most excellent.

The following clip is long but totally worth your time if you are a fan of British comedy. Like me, you might not get all the references but funny is funny wherever it comes from.


8 Out Of 10 Cats 18.09.08 Part 1 by mcflymedia

3 comments:

Nick Ward said...

Sir I did not know about this show. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. It meets 97.6% of my needs. The good stuff as always.

Ted Hobgood said...

Good call, I *love* this show! Also worth watching are Mock The Week (especially the early ones with the amazing Frankie Boyle), Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and the always amazing QI (Sean Lock is on there quite a bit). Oh, and if you like 8 Out of Ten Cats, you might also like Would I Lie To You?, which has some brilliant stuff from David Mitchell. Seek it out for many laughs!

I've been watching all those for years, and still love them (I just happen to be watching the new Cats right now!) but my latest obsession is the rather odd Celebrity Juice with Keith Lemon. Potato!

Kal said...

Thanks for those recommendations Ted. I see torrents for those shows all the time. I will give them a watch now.