Saturday, July 9, 2011

I So Love My Fishin' Shows


My father was a fisherman and loved nothing more than throwing a hook into an undesturbed stream. As a soldier he had lots of opportunity to do that when he was off on training maneuvers. It was in his blood as much as artillary guns were. His grandparents were fishermen out east in Nova Scotia. They fished lobster.


I have made my view on fishing quite clear. I will go out in the boat, I will bait a hook. I will make a cast into the water. However, the SECOND that something bites on the line I no longer want anything to do with the entire process. If someone doesn't grab my fishing pole in the next ten seconds I am throwing it in the water.


And if you do land the fish I don't want to see or smell or touch it until it's properly breaded and looks like a fish stick - which for some reason is the way I percieved fish as a child - this school of fishsticks are swimming about and suddenly they are scooped up in a net, then boxed up and finally headed into my microwave.

I just hate everything about the post catching of the fish. Can you imagine how much I would crap my pants if I was in a boat where these flying fish were attacking me like in this clip? WTF? What kind of non-mutated fish does something like that? I thought we had a pretty clear agreement. Fish under the water, humans above the water. Their intrusion into our territory is quite distasteful to me.

4 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Know what else you'll love? My graphic novel on CD. It's available for a limited time to Canadian readers for $21 shipping included! Seriously, why have you not bought it yet?

Tempo said...

The laughing belays the real danger and the damage these carp are doing to the environment, theyre taking over where ever they get a fin hold.

Kal said...

I agree. They are a menace.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've only gone fishing once but I just about freaked out when the fish was on the line too. Once is enough for me.