Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Killing (2011)


I just sat here for ten minutes thinking about how I would describe the AMC program 'The Killing'.

How brave of this network to take on a production that is not all flash and guns and whistles. There are no last minute forensic saves or high tech computer screens.

This show is dark and wet and takes it's time following the lives of the central characters - two cops (Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman) investigating the murder of a teen girl and all of the various characters who in some way have a connection to her. If you love strong character dramas and you don't have the attention span of a tree lemur, then this show is for you.


Over 13 episodes (one hour for each day of the investigation) we follow the twists and turns and build up the clues we will need to finger the killer. I like to think I am a pretty good detective but I have no idea who I would call as the killer right now. There are lots of red herrings that turn out to go nowhere. I hope I figure things out around episode 10.

My early candidate is the politician running for Mayor (Billy Campbell of the 'Rocketeer'). The girl was found dead in the trunk of one of his campaign cars. The car was found in a lake and the girl drowned in the trunk, breaking her fingernails as she tried to get out in time.


I love the confidence of the creators. They know they have something pretty special with the script and they populate their tale with character actors you have seen in many many other things even if you don't immediately know their names. The quality of their performances, however will amaze you.

With the time allowed in this 13 part mini-series you see the extended effect the young girl's death has on those around her, especially her parents (Brent Saxon and Michelle Forbes). It's heartbreaking to watch at times.


The main detective (Mireille Enos) is a single mom who is on her last day with the Seattle Police Force. She is leaving for California to marry her boyfriend (Jack Linden). I really enjoyed their relationship.

He is frustrated that their new life has been put on hold for this case but he works around it to support her and to bond with her son (Callum Keith Rennie), his future step-son. Nothing to do with the murder investigation but great depth to our understanding of the lead investigator. This kind of character development is the reason I love television in the first place.


I know I always bitch about how much I appreciate it when 'effort' is put into the creation of popular entertainment and how so often that is not a priority. This show has become my go to example of a rare case that defies all expectations and draws the viewer into a labyrinth of sadness and doesn't let them go.

I will no doubt have much more to say but I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone who may find this show interesting. Do what I did. Collect the whole first season before starting to watch. One episode a week is just an insane way to experience a program like this. You need to immerse yourself in the world and watch for anything that may help you identify the killer. Despite the gloomy subject matter it is fun and mentally rewarding.



1 comment:

Sam G said...

I'm just waiting for Breaking Bad on July 17th!