Friday, July 8, 2011

Thank You Keyboard 16. You Served Me Well


"The keyboard is dead. Long live the keyboard."

I notoriously hard on three things - air fans, computer chairs and keyboards. I have been told that I put the same stress on keyboard keys that I do by clenching my teeth together and I understand my bite strength is off the charts. So it's rare that a keyboard can last six months with me like this last one did. But it was time for a change.

Letting him go in favor of a shiny new keyboard was the way to go. In this last month that old keyboard was just begging to be put out of it's misery. Once keys start flying off after they are first broken by repeated impact stress from my extraordinary typing abilities, it's time to make a trip to the store. No sense prolonging this change any longer than it has to be.

So with thanks to Keyboard 16 here's to Keyboard 17. For your first full day at work you are doing a great job. You have a few bells and whistles that I may check out at a later time but for now you feel terrific to these fingers of mine. I love how 'plug and play' your installation was. I have high hopes for the two of us.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My gawd, what do you do to air fans?

mercurius said...

You may want to look into mechanical switch keyboards. I use a Unicomp Customizer 104.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html

These things are manufactured using original specs and factory tooling from IBM's Model M keyboard factory. Originally introduced in 1984, the Model M is the benchmark of keyboards for those in the know. Each key goes down with a solid, satisfying CLACK. It weighs nearly EIGHT POUNDS. It feels bulletproof and for all we know, due to Cold War era engineering, it probably is.

A lot of ppl aren''t aware the original Model M specs are still in production so they keep scouring the web for old Model M's.

Anyways, my Unicomp Customizer 104 is prob the single most impressive piece of computer equipment I've ever bought, right up there with my IBM Thinkpads.

Kal said...

Debra - once I turn on a fan I never turn it off. Fan manufacturers like Dyson should pay me to test the lifespan of one of their fans. I know fans. I know which I will be content with and which I will not. It's a whole science. Then there is the issue of dust.

Wow mercurius. That was great information. I really should be looking into Keyboard 18 at this point. I like the terms 'COLD WAR ENGINEERINGS' and 'Bulletproof'.

Sarah said...

I have that exact same keyboard at home!

Kal said...

STOP FREAKING ME OUT SARAH!!