Sunday, July 24, 2011

Winning Cosplay From Sarah




I love this time of year. I love the hot weather because that leads to stormy weather and I do so enjoy the turbulence in the air. I like the cherries and the cherry based products. I like the frozen treats and I also love the summer cosplay season and the latest crop of the best and the worst of this strange community - and I use the word 'strange' in all it's wonderful connotations.

I know good cosplay when I see it. It's the recognition of a character matching the physical gifts of the person dressing up as the character. You can make changes for aestetic reasons but at the core of your 'look' you have to get the physical part of the performance just right. And that is what it is - a PERFORMANCE. It's art but it's PERFORMANCE ART.

(Just like in the comics when Alfred told Dick Grayson when he went from being 'Nightwing' to being THE 'Batman' to think of being 'Batman' as a circus act. Play the part. You can 'act' the role of 'Batman' and if you can get the look down then people will be fooled long enough to give him the advantage in any confrontation.)

I know Sarah and have talked to her for most of last year. She loves her Dune and her hubby (the long suffering B), her D%D, her homeboys, her childhood stories and memories, her fantasy fiction, and especially her cosplay.

She has the guts to put the time and effort into doing what we all fantasize about doing. Her DEMONA here from this summer is epic cool. It's 'Cave of Cool Hall of Fame' worthy behavior if we had a 'Hall of Fame' around here. Go to her blog - GEEK BEEKS - to read about her convention cosplay experience. It's fascinating television as the kids say. That's what we needed here - VIDEO!!! There are however, great pictures of her experience.

She really got the look and physicality of the character right. Her idea for construction on the wings (the most important feature on any 'Gargoyles' character are the wings) is brilliant and she guides you through the construction to the final finish product. I hope she shares this tutorial with other cosplay construction sites. I appreciate how thorough she is in her explanations. It's like you are backstage at a rock star's concert. Only that rock star is blue with bright orange hair.

The result she finally shows off is sexy but accessible and textbook on how to do cosplay right. The effect the wings have takes the look from ordinary to extra ordinary. That blue color is very appealing to human males - let be honest. No wonder 'Avatar' used it. There has to be some Disney sponsored market research on that color for the 'Gargoyles' characters. I can only imagine how more amazing this costume will be after a year of tweaking she will have before next summer's conventions. Good on ya girl. You are a favorite around the 'Cave'. Hope you always stick around.

I was looking for a Demona clip but it was all dumb music mashups so instead I post this opening from the show 'Gargolyles' which Demona was a major character in. Unfortunately she is not in this clip. But hey, that Kieth David is awesome. What a terrific voice. I could listen to him all day long. I miss 'The Cape'. Summer Glau strikes again.



I am happy to be share this Blog of the Day with y'all with this post of Sarah's. She is really terrific and a force of nature. I can imagine that being around her sometime must be like what it's like to be inside a bolt of lightning. I am glad we are friends. I am sure she wouldn't mind me sharing these other cosplay pics of her as a pirate wench. I can only imagine how much fun it was to see her play her cosplay characters in person.



"LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!"

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

LOVE the hair!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

A timely post. I've been wanting to catch on this show for quite a while and just obtained the DVD boxed set yesterday.

Actually Kal, I don't think its that blue is a appealing to males as blue is appealing to humans in general. Often blue is used to be calming and soothing. Hence its use in Avatar so that we instantly feel comfortable with these alien creatures.

Demona's blue skin is calming at first since she isn't originally brought in as a villain, but works when she does turn because it represent how cold she's become. The shock of bright red hair (the color the eye is most attracted to) alerts us that something is wrong. Especially since the Gargoyles series, taking place at night and stories that didn't always have clear heroes and villains had a very muted to neutral color scheme. Even Eliza and Lexington's red colors are dark.