Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Have Given This Topic More Thought Than You Would Think I Would


I have to hand it to my buddy Dez over at 'Hollywood Spy'. He thinks a lot about these movie things and his casting choice for the remake of 'Dirty Dancing' inspired the following comment. I know it's lazy to reblog comments I have made elsewhere but I have no control over when my brilliance will manifest itself. Often my best stuff comes from the comments I leave on the posts of others.

I have to admit that I LOVE your casting choices for the 'Dirty Dancing' remake. This kid Derek has earned my respect for his talents as a dancer and choreographer with many years of quality 'Dancing With The Stars' performances.

He would KILL this role and this shows that the producers know that you can't put any pretty boy in this role if they hope to do justice to this remake. Love it or hate it, 'Dirty Dancing' is an emotional touchstone for a certain generation of women. The remake has to be done right.

Once I saw Lea as the choice for 'Baby' I slapped my head. It's such a no brainer. The fans for the remake will be the mothers who loved the original and who love 'Glee' and would love to share this with their daughters.

Lea IS Baby. I see this was the image the creators of the 'Glee' TV show were going for the whole time. Wholesome mega talent with just a strong shot of sexuality.

The original is pretty great. I have mad love for Swayze for doing this more than for any other of his roles. This was his most brave when he was really at his balletic peak. Magnificent.

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You know, Cal, you really need to let your light shine more. Don't be so modest!

Kal said...

I am shy. You know that. I would much prefer to hide my light under a bushle.

DrGoat said...

The mind boggles.

DEZMOND said...

well, I didn't see this comment anywhere over at my place :PPP

These two kids are just rumored to be current lead choices for the lead roles, so who knows what will happen later on ... but as you said Derek is a great dancer and a gorgeous boy, and as far as I got it a lot of people really love Lea and she has that trade mark nose for the role :)

Kal said...

Lea is so Jewish lookin' which the role needs. Plus I would like to see Jennifer Gray play her mother who remembers her own youthful flirtations with a boy. See, you got me all into this movie and it's really not my type of film. Really. I just hate to see anyone put Baby in a corner is all. (see what I did there?)

DEZMOND said...

If I remember correctly, Jennifer Gray spoke to the press yesterday about what she thinks about the remake and she gave it her support since it will be directed by the guy who came up with the iconic choreography from the original, so she might as well appear in the film too :)

Kal said...

I am glad to hear that. Keep me posted. In the perfect would we would win tickets to see this premier together. I think you would be a good beard to cover my love for this movie.