Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sherlock Season 2 - The One Where Calvin Squeels Like A Little Girl


'Get off my sheet' - Sherlock to Mycroft

The first ten minutes of the new season of Sherlock is just about the greatest thing I have ever seen. Turning the world's greatest detective into an Internet sensation is also a hip and interesting way to jam pack hours worth of story into 90 minutes of running time.

It was great to see Holmes and Watson interviewing potential clients and cases. They even have a grading system to decide which cases are worth the trouble for Sherlock to leave the house. Brilliant.

The visual tricks that are used to moved the story along are very humorous in a dry British kind of way. This is as hip as it gets kids.

This is only the fourth episode but already the two leads have developed an excellent shorthand between them. I feel cheated that I have no new episodes to watch until Sunday.

Watching Holmes and Watson dote over Mrs Hudson is a joy to behold. She is more of a mother than either of them has ever had and I liked the way that Sherlock's love is not forced when he fears Mrs. Hudson was really in danger.

Miss Adler was good as an adversary but she was not as great as Sherlock on her best day. Why is it always HUBRIS that brings down their super villains? The final reveal of the phone code made me giggle uncomfortably. The solution to any puzzle is always right under ones nose.

Next - The Hounds Of Baskerville

9/10

5 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

This was a fantastic way to kick off the new year, I'd forgotten how much I missed this show, and how clever it could be.

My only problem with this episode was Sherlock getting nothing but ???? on Irene Adler during their introduction. Seriously he couldn't get again from her hair, the style or shampoo. Her earrings, what kind of stones they were, if they have meaning, were they a gift from a client she got too close to? She obviously takes good care of her skin. What moisturizers or lotions does she use? How does she shave her legs? Are they any impressions left by elastic or other clothing that she might have worn recently? What method does she use to trim her pubic hair? I'm sure that would tell you a lot.

Thats what I was thinking during that scene and I'd like to think Sherlock would be faster at that than I am.

Also, if Irene said "And I knew what he liked" one more time, I was going to lose it! We get it, you have weird sex, you act like you frickin' invented it!

Still, an excellent episode. I got a great laugh from the deerstalker hat and enjoyed the references to "A Scandal in Bohemia" playing on Irene's nickname of "The Woman" and how Watson hitting Sherlock in the face was not only a clever nod to the original story but also served to reinforce their friendship. "He didn't break your nose."

Can't wait to see what they do with the Hound of the Baskervilles, its probably the most famous of the Holmes stories in between Scandal in Bohemia and The Final Problem, so I'm sure they'll be clever about their updates.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I immediately thought that Sherlock couldn't read her because she was a woman, an attractive woman, a woman he was sexually attracted to - that 'virgin' nickname may be well earned. I liked that they showed that even Moriarity has someone pulling his strings.

Belle said...

I watched one with my granddaughter Cherish and loved it.

Feaky Snucker said...

I live in Canada and am having a hell of a time trying to find what channel it's playing on! Where is it?!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I downloaded it but I suspect PBS will be airing that episode too.